1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and others - reference problem

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 28, 2011.

1. In order to get a teaching job I was considering moving back to West Midlands where ther seems more long term supply positions. To this end I had great hopes following a conversation with the C*****n agency in Brum. It appears that the refence from my last school "is not up to our high standards". Do I have a right to see the refence so that I can check, under Freddom of Information Act,that there is nothing of an opinion nature or that there is simple plain inaccurate information contained in the reference?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh no!
    I cannot believe this!
    Firstly, was there any minor problem that may have been brought up in a reference? Or has this come right out of the blue? In which case there may be inaccuracies, or indeed a total error, looking up the wrong person's records, for example.
    Secxondly, it's not the FoI act, it's the Data Protection Act. This specifically excludes references as something that a referee has to show you. But . . . there's a sort of loophole in that the person who receives the reference can show it to you - under certain circumstances.
    The circumstances are so restrictive that actually what you legally can get to see is not worth bothering about.
    But . . .
    not many people know the rules that well.
    So you could try approaching the agency and say that you are going to make a Subject Access Request under the DPA, as you understand that although the referee is exempt from providing a copy of the reference, they are not.
    You might get lucky!
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Although there is the problem of time off due to my partners' death (which I address every time I apply for a job AND mention it to agencies) there is absolutely nothing else. I did all the duties of a classroom teacher. I would hate this to be sent out to all prospective employers and contain factual inaccuracies should the reference simply be copied and pasted.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In that case, certainly go ahead and ask the agency for a copy of the reference, since you are surprised that it seems to be negative and wonder if there has been a mix-up.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars