1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others - negative sounding statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by altally, Apr 5, 2012.

1. altally

altally New commenter

Dear Theo and others,
    I've been trying to revamp my supporting statement so it does not include anything that might sound like a negative, and I'm currently looking at the first sentence which is the only part I'm worrying about.
    It goes: "I am due to qualify as a teacher in July 2012, having studied for a degree in Primary Education at ____ University."
    It is completely accurate, but I'm worried that the "due to" part may put some people off me! How can I say that I'm not actually officially qualified yet without sounding negative?
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. altally

altally New commenter

Dear Theo and others,
    I've been trying to revamp my supporting statement so it does not include anything that might sound like a negative, and I'm currently looking at the first sentence which is the only part I'm worrying about.
    It goes: "I am due to qualify as a teacher in July 2012, having studied for a degree in Primary Education at ____ University."
    It is completely accurate, but I'm worried that the "due to" part may put some people off me! How can I say that I'm not actually officially qualified yet without sounding negative?
    Thanks,
    Alex

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about turning it around. Something similar to
    'Currently studying for a degree in primary Education at ________ Uni. I finish my course in Jun/July (whichever month it is), when I will be fully qualified as a teacher.

4. altally

altally New commenter

Thank you for the reply. This would work if I hadn't finished already, but we had our last lecture at the beginning of March. So, we have finished in effect, and are just waiting to hand in dissertations, then graduate officially in July. It's a pain that they refuse to recognise us as qualified earlier :(

Alex

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So what about?
    'Having finished studying for my degree in primary Education at ________ Uni, I
    officially finish my course in Jun/July (whichever month it is), after having our dissertations marked, when I will be
    fully qualified as a teacher. '

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, actually . . . I liked your first version best!
    No, it doesn't sound at all negative - everyone knows that people currently doing their PGCE are "due to" finish this year.
    :)
    Best wishes

7. I am a PGCE student and have written mine pretty similarly. I have secured 2 interviews from 3 applications so it doesn't seem to be putting schools off.
    Interviews however are a whole other minefield...think this is where my lack of experience is showing...

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, nothing wrong with it at all.
    Or, in place of 'I am due' to 'I will finish my PGCE..and qualify...'