1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others involved in recruiting

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by obliquesqueak, Oct 14, 2015.

1. obliquesqueak

obliquesqueak New commenter

Hi

I've ended up in a complex situation, that I can't really explain (I think it's rather specific, so don't want to give key details out!).

But essentially, I want to leave my current job. My question is, how much trickier is it to secure another job when I am (possibly) not employed? I don't think it's possible to stay until I find another job, so it means leaving and applying afterwards. My reasons are genuine and I think understandable! Financially, I can stand a few months without pay and judging from TES job adverts in the past few weeks, there are jobs available that suit me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The problem with applying when unemployed is that there may be suspicions about why you left a post without having another job. And you have to be so very careful in explaining it, without being negative about the other school or making yourself look bad.

And, of course, you will still have to give your current school as the first referee, even if you have left it by the time you apply. Don't think that you can avoid that by resigning now and then waiting until January to apply for other jobs.

And (they do say that one shouldn't begin a sentence or worse still a paragraph with And . . .;)) another point is that even if you are unemployed from January, get a job in supply (without a supportive reference from your current school? Dream on!) and think that you don't therefore have to give this school ever again, a school to which you are applying will almost certainly pick up the phone and speak to your last (i.e. current) Head in a long-term post.

Just saying that . . . in case this was part of the conundrum.

Who should be my referees?

Start applying then. Have you read all the Applications Advice Articles? tag me in your next post if not.

Best wishes

3. obliquesqueak

obliquesqueak New commenter

Thanks Theo. The reference isn't the issue - or certainly shouldn't be! It is more a case of saving my sanity. I wish I could explain the situation - I can't believe all of it myself. I guess I'll have to tough it out as long as I can and hope something comes up soon.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ok, I only asked because people in difficuklt situations are sometimes worried about their reference.

So have you seen the advice articles then? @obliquesqueak

Best wishes