1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others - How long does shortlisting usually take?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kp1234, May 6, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm just wondering what the typical length of time it is before I should expect to hear from a school saying whether I have been shortlised. I sent in two applications for schools closing on Thursday and didn't hear anything on Friday. I'm a bit rusty with the whole process.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. I've waited over a week before, certain I hadn't made the shortlist, only to get a letter inviting me in. I mean, if it's a job for September, they're not exactly going to be in a rush, eh?

3. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

That depends on the school and the timeline they have for interviews. Did the advert say when they wanted to interview?
    The soonest I have heard is the day the advert closed (12pm) and the longest has been about 10 days.
    If the school takes the bank holiday then it will likely be the middle of next week at the earliest.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If it's a job for September, then they will want to interview before half term, so that any working teachers who apply can hand in their resignation by the due date of 31 May.
    So work back from the possible interview date., say beginning of last week before the hols. 28 - 30 May. Hmn, a bit tight. Say 23-25 May. Give a week's notice to the candidates, 16 May.
    I reckon 16 May is your Last Hope Date, but realistically I'd expect them to contact you by the middle of this coming week, 9th May.
    If you don't get the good news by then, why don't you sign up for the seminar on Winning that Teaching job this coming Saturday?
    www.tesweekendworkshop103.eventbrite.co.uk
    And if you DO get the good news that you have been called for interview, you could sign up for the small-group Interview Coaching that Saturday:
    www.tesweekendworkshop102.eventbrite.co.uk
    :)
    Best wishes