1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, and Others - Executive Summary and Supporting Statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by salsasister, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

Having
    read your excellent advice and devoured the information on How to get shortlisted and Jobseeking FAQs, I'm
    still slightly confused.

I'm in
    the process of applying for a teaching post, and I have written my supporting
    statement, however they also require "letter of application addressing any issues identified in the
    information provided
    " <font size="2">Help! I obviously want to make a good
    impression as I want the job, but now I'm not sure what to include where? </font>
    1. Will my
    supporting statement go in the section marked &ldquo;Relevant Experience - knowledge,
    skills and experience relate to this post

2. What information needs to be included in the letter of application, as i will be addressing the points raised in the job and person description and the letter to the applicant in the supporting statement
    3. <font size="2">Would
    you suggest I use my supporting statement as my letter of application and provide
    an executive summary for the &ldquo;Relevant Experience - knowledge, skills and
    experience relate to this post
    &rdquo;. </font>

I am finding the executive
    summary hard to write as I have finished my PGCE course yet and find that I am answering
    questions such as &ldquo;a proven ability to
    agree, monitor and evaluate pupil progress&rdquo; with &ldquo;effective use of monitoring,
    and evaluating to inform planning on placements&rdquo;. I&rsquo;m sure this doesn&rsquo;t sound very professional.

I know this sounds a lot, but
    I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Jen

2. Dear Theo,

Having
    read your excellent advice and devoured the information on How to get shortlisted and Jobseeking FAQs, I'm
    still slightly confused.

I'm in
    the process of applying for a teaching post, and I have written my supporting
    statement, however they also require "letter of application addressing any issues identified in the
    information provided
    " <font size="2">Help! I obviously want to make a good
    impression as I want the job, but now I'm not sure what to include where? </font>
    1. Will my
    supporting statement go in the section marked &ldquo;Relevant Experience - knowledge,
    skills and experience relate to this post

2. What information needs to be included in the letter of application, as i will be addressing the points raised in the job and person description and the letter to the applicant in the supporting statement
    3. <font size="2">Would
    you suggest I use my supporting statement as my letter of application and provide
    an executive summary for the &ldquo;Relevant Experience - knowledge, skills and
    experience relate to this post
    &rdquo;. </font>

I am finding the executive
    summary hard to write as I have finished my PGCE course yet and find that I am answering
    questions such as &ldquo;a proven ability to
    agree, monitor and evaluate pupil progress&rdquo; with &ldquo;effective use of monitoring,
    and evaluating to inform planning on placements&rdquo;. I&rsquo;m sure this doesn&rsquo;t sound very professional.

I know this sounds a lot, but
    I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Jen

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have they actually asked for both? For a supporting statement AND a letter of application?
    Because in the Jobseeking FAQs, it says right at the beginning:
    Letter of application and personal statement are the same thing, except that one starts &ldquo;Dear Mr Griffiths&rdquo; and t&acute;other doesn&acute;t. (so don&acute;t do both!).
    So have they asked for both? And if they haven't, why are you doing both?
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. I've looked at the application, and they definatly want a letter of application, addressing any issues in the information provided. In the body of the application form their is a section that is headed Relevant Experience. Under which it states please read the job description and person description carefully, then describe how your knowledge, skills and experience relate to this post.
    I think I'm now more confused than I was last night [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Dead simple!
    Letter of application based on what you have written as a personal statement, just set out as a letter.
    In the form, you put your executive summary.
    You'll have to cut it perhaps to fit the space.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. Brilliant!
    Thanks so much for your help, at least I might have more of a chance, now that I know what I'm doing[​IMG]

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We are all rooting for you here on this Forum!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And any other 'lurkers' too!