1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others... doing as I'm told

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tigger82, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I am applying for a job which is quite unique and niche. The school is Independent and in Scotland so there is CV and "the submission of a paper which provides an analysis of the ways in which their knowledge, experience and attributes enable them to fulfil the requirements of this post. It is the most complicated application I have ever seen. Then there are the four stages of interview...
    The 'job particulars' ask for a "comprehensive CV" which includes post school qulifications, previous employment and a "formal and detailed explanation of the way in which the employment enables them to meet the experiential requirements identified in the Person Specification". I also have to list CPD experiences and "explanation of the ways in which these activities have shaped the knowledge and skills of the individual"
    1. Is the paper essentially a personal statement? Just lined to the roles and responsiblities outined in the particulars?
    2. Should I include my school qulifications or just my degree onward?
    3. For the the formal and detailed expanation I have written in paragraphs and dealt with one experiential requirement at a time for each job. Is this right?
    4. The CPD part of the CV I have done as a table with Date, Course, Knowledge and Experience gained. Is that okay?
    5. Shall I enclose the hair from a unicorn's tail plucked by a maiden at midnight on a full moon too?

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I am applying for a job which is quite unique and niche. The school is Independent and in Scotland so there is CV and "the submission of a paper which provides an analysis of the ways in which their knowledge, experience and attributes enable them to fulfil the requirements of this post. It is the most complicated application I have ever seen. Then there are the four stages of interview...
    The 'job particulars' ask for a "comprehensive CV" which includes post school qulifications, previous employment and a "formal and detailed explanation of the way in which the employment enables them to meet the experiential requirements identified in the Person Specification". I also have to list CPD experiences and "explanation of the ways in which these activities have shaped the knowledge and skills of the individual"
    1. Is the paper essentially a personal statement? Just lined to the roles and responsiblities outined in the particulars?
    2. Should I include my school qulifications or just my degree onward?
    3. For the the formal and detailed expanation I have written in paragraphs and dealt with one experiential requirement at a time for each job. Is this right?
    4. The CPD part of the CV I have done as a table with Date, Course, Knowledge and Experience gained. Is that okay?
    5. Shall I enclose the hair from a unicorn's tail plucked by a maiden at midnight on a full moon too?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for the nice clear explanation and the questions.
    Q1 Yes, and also do an executive summary so that it's very clear that you comply with their requirements. Best to hand-write it with a Quill Pen on pure vellum; gold leaf edgings would be an additional bonus.
    Q2 School qualifications - certainly A levels (hope they are good!) and GCSE only if very impressive. Your recent successes at the Braemuir Highland Games should also fit in here.
    Q3 Looks good to me! Can you employ a medieval monk to do fancy twiddly bits between each paragraph?
    Q4 Same as above.
    Q5 No. A few scales from the Loch Ness Monster would be preferable.
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you Theo,
    I have followed your advice as closely as possible. Couldn't manage medieval monks but the taperstry weavers from Stirling Castle might be able to do something with it...
    Now for the second part of the application...
    Honestly, slaying dragons and grail questing would be simpler.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I understand that these are both part of the interview day.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

In that case I'll polish my armour!
    My CV is 6 pages long already and I'm not finished yet. Seriously, six pages. I am following their instructions so it should be okay shouldn't it?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I doubt if anyone will have the energy to read 6 pages.
    2 pages is the normal maximum for a CV. Sorry to give you the bad news . . . but unless you have been holding a number of high-ranking posts - how can you possibly have 6 pages of relevant, <u>relevant</u> information for a CV?
    You're going to need to trim seriously, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes.

8. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

It is the formal and detailed explanation of how my jobs meet the experiential requirements and the explanation of how the CPD I've done has shaped my knowledge and skills that has done it that the pariculars ask for. Managed to Whittle it down to 4 pages now.
    I am just trying to follow their instructions and your advice (which I know will help) but I honestly can't see how else to reduce it and still show that I have the skills they are looking for.
    I have the font set at Ariel 12 and I have tried to lay it out clearly (having read the advice in the how to get shortlisted sticky).
    Oh my Theo, this is making me want to cry.
    I have decided to leave the 1,000 word report (about how I can fulfil the roles and responsibilities) unti I have been for the visit and chat with the Director (about the role). As I will have a better idea (I hope of what to focus on) then if there is duplication between that and the CV I can sort it out.
    Which leads me to yet another question...
    The first stage of the interview process is a tour of the School and a "discussion with the Director to ensure full understanding of the of the nature of the post, including roles, reponsibilities and other factors". Which is exactly the same as I have been invited to on Tuesday only it is worded as a tour of the school and an informal chat with Director to ensure full understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the postition".
    So do I prepare as if this were the first part of the interview? Is it likely to be repeated if they short list my application?
    They were very keen for me to visit and were very willing to accomodate my schedule so I could attend next week (closing date 10th of Feb - obviously need at least a week to decipher and prepare application).

9. I have absolutely nothing constructive to add but this thread made me laugh. A lot. Thank you [​IMG]

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Stop weeping now; Arthur doesn't allow his Round Table Kinghts to weep.
    Down to 4 is a big achievement, and if you think it is (a) all indispensable and (b) neatly laid out so easy to skim read (sorry . . . but they may well) then that's fine.
    Do check the skim read aspect, I am serious here. Should be v easy to get the gist because beautifully laid out, with the date and top line summary in bold.
    Yes, prepare entirely, including how you dress, as though an interview. As for what they do if they shortlist you - judging on their performance so far it will probably be rescuing a maiden with 50 meter-long hair from the top of the Science Building where she is being held by the dragon aka Head of Chemistry.
    Good luck - it actually sounds as though it's going well so far.

11. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

KItMAff - glad we cheered your evening up!
    Theo - thank you so much. I will screw my courage to the sticking place and call for Pegasus.
    Will check, double check and then get somebody else to check my CV against the list of demands. Do you think if I get the job I win a kingdom and the hand of the Director's daughter? (I am a girl and have quite enough daughters of my own thank you very much...)
    I will keep you updated on the progress of my quest.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nothing , to add. just thank you for a really entertaining thread!

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I believe that dragons are now a protected species and DEFRA will be on your case for doing that.
    They are subject to a catch and release scheme once someone has put little rings on their legs.[​IMG]
    But if you've rescued 3 maidens in the process you might get off with a caution.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But these were draFons, draFons - similar to dragons but with a lisp.
    :)
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    Best wishes

15. So Theo not only are you persecuting an endangered species but also a much maligned and misunderstood minority within that species. Oh the shame!

16. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Okay people just calm down. No actual dragons, drafons or maidens were injured in pursuit of this job.
    I had very interesting day and a very useful discussion with the Director.
    As the setting is in a very specialst school for children with severe and complex needs and so unlike anything I have ever done before this is going to be a very tricky application form.
    I loved the scgool, the ethos and the approach to education. I really, really want this job.
    Theo - do you do your one-2-one coaching via skype or over the phone?

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a bit tricky for interview coaching. General application coaching could be done, but actually interview coaching we need to be face to face.
    Haven't you got a fast-flying dragon that could whisk you here?
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    Best wishes

18. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Alas not!
    Will just keep going and see what happens. Besides you and the rest of the knights of the round table will help me out here. Won't you?