1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and Others - differentiation in interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Dance49, May 2, 2012.

1. I have an interview coming up requiring my to teach 30 mins maths to a full class of mixed ability year 1/2's. Have been informed I will not be given information on attainment groupings within the class.
    I know what I want to do for the lesson but have now got myself in a complete tiz about how to organise and differentiate when I won't know the kids. I have chosen a number objective and have in mind 3 way differentiated activities, but how will I know how to group the kids for this? I know I should assess in a short starter, but don't think I could get enough from this to accurately group all the kids to the 3 activities. Going round in circles!
    Any advice appreciated.

2. I have an interview coming up requiring my to teach 30 mins maths to a full class of mixed ability year 1/2's. Have been informed I will not be given information on attainment groupings within the class.
    I know what I want to do for the lesson but have now got myself in a complete tiz about how to organise and differentiate when I won't know the kids. I have chosen a number objective and have in mind 3 way differentiated activities, but how will I know how to group the kids for this? I know I should assess in a short starter, but don't think I could get enough from this to accurately group all the kids to the 3 activities. Going round in circles!
    Any advice appreciated.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try a short starter with open-ended questions. You can then ask for other volunteers to 'develop' the answers.
    Well done for knowing what you're going to do in the lesson. Just be prepared for changing things depending how the lesson goes.
    Best of luck with it.
    Fingers crossed for you
    [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    Have you read all the advice?
    • The interview clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    • The Interview lesson thread?
    • The Safeguarding questions thread?
    As for differentiation, what ever you decide (and I don't give advice on lesson content), do make sure that it is very clearly set out in your lesson plan.
    Best wishes