1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and others) Application form help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Butterflychic, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    After applying for around 17 jobs in the last year
    with no response, I'm well on my way to feeling pretty depressed. From
    reading around the forum, I see users who have applied to way more jobs
    than me, so feel somewhat assured to not take it personally.
    I've
    had HODs check my statement against what they look for in applications
    & all have said positive things. Plus I've picked up many tips from
    this frum, which is great

Just wanted to double check some things:
    1) Do you put your name at the top on every page of the application form? Or is this not advised?
    2) If the supporting statement is around 1and half to 2 pages long, do you still use an Exec Summary if it pushes it to 3 pages?
    I think my applications lack that cartain "something" which stops it from standing out to employers!

2. Hi there,
    After applying for around 17 jobs in the last year
    with no response, I'm well on my way to feeling pretty depressed. From
    reading around the forum, I see users who have applied to way more jobs
    than me, so feel somewhat assured to not take it personally.
    I've
    had HODs check my statement against what they look for in applications
    & all have said positive things. Plus I've picked up many tips from
    this frum, which is great

Just wanted to double check some things:
    1) Do you put your name at the top on every page of the application form? Or is this not advised?
    2) If the supporting statement is around 1and half to 2 pages long, do you still use an Exec Summary if it pushes it to 3 pages?
    I think my applications lack that cartain "something" which stops it from standing out to employers!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Personally I put name bottom LH side, in smaller type than the letter, say font 10. It's in case they drop a whole pile of them on the way to the photocopier, so that they can identify your pages. Not so easy when everything is printed!
    Q2 Two sides for your letter of application. Or supporting statement if you write that instead. And, yes, do an executive summary too. If they don't like it, they can bin it. If you make it the third page of your letter ir gets printed out automatically, but is obviously not part of the letter as it is so different in format.
    You should be coming to the seminar on Saturday then!
    Best wishes

4. Thanks Theo.
    Have been putting my name as a header, smaller in font. But shall change it to bottom LH side!

Thanks, would love to come to the workshops! As I'm further up north, I need to save up to afford to come down, so hopefully soon!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There may be, may be, some more workshops later on.
    And there may be, may be, may be . . . one further north.
    Best wishes

6. Please further north!!! and soon!!!
    Good luck Butterfly x

7. Thanks!

Can someone clear things up, Is your GTC number the same as your TRN and QTS number? :S

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, certainly QTS and GTC (as long as that's still relevant) numbers are the same but what does TRN stand for. I go back to a DoE (Department of Education) number!

9. Thanks!

Teacher Ref Number! Think that shows how old some of these applications are that I'm filling in!

10. No, that's usually Job or Advert ref number.