1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and others - any advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by GemmaEllis79, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I am just after a bit of advice from another perspective really as trying to think of the right approach has me going round in circles at the moment!
    I completed my Primary PGCE in 2004, took up supply following graduation after having a few unsucessful interviews. Due to personal circumstances (money, confidence etc) I took a permanant job with Connexions (secondary advice and guidance) in 2005. I then took a Return to Teaching course in 2010 and again started doing supply after gaining a supply extension from the LA. Since April 2010 I have done lots of supply, was asked back to schools, offered a few jobs from doing supply but couldn't accept them as I needed to take maternity leave from Feb 2011.
    I am now job hunting again and finding the situation very frustrating. I can't do supply as I have had an extension already but I feel like you need to be in schools to be offered work. In addition to this part-time roles seem few and far between. I have applied for jobs using the advice in here re: executive summary, but just don't seem to be getting any interviews.
    I am wondering whether it's beneficial at all to apply for TA roles as well as Teaching roles? If I can afford to volunteer in schools should I?
    I am really just trying to think of ways to get back into school as I love working with children and teaching and am proud of my qualifications. But on the other hand I need to find a job within the next 6 months!
    Also, does anyone know if I am allowed to take supply work as a TA or cover supervisor even if I have run out of supply time? And, am I right in thinking that after April 2012 there will be a rule that you have to have started your Induction within 5 years of gaining your PGCE?
    Sorry if this all seems a bit disjointed!
    Many thanks for reading!

2. I am just after a bit of advice from another perspective really as trying to think of the right approach has me going round in circles at the moment!
    I completed my Primary PGCE in 2004, took up supply following graduation after having a few unsucessful interviews. Due to personal circumstances (money, confidence etc) I took a permanant job with Connexions (secondary advice and guidance) in 2005. I then took a Return to Teaching course in 2010 and again started doing supply after gaining a supply extension from the LA. Since April 2010 I have done lots of supply, was asked back to schools, offered a few jobs from doing supply but couldn't accept them as I needed to take maternity leave from Feb 2011.
    I am now job hunting again and finding the situation very frustrating. I can't do supply as I have had an extension already but I feel like you need to be in schools to be offered work. In addition to this part-time roles seem few and far between. I have applied for jobs using the advice in here re: executive summary, but just don't seem to be getting any interviews.
    I am wondering whether it's beneficial at all to apply for TA roles as well as Teaching roles? If I can afford to volunteer in schools should I?
    I am really just trying to think of ways to get back into school as I love working with children and teaching and am proud of my qualifications. But on the other hand I need to find a job within the next 6 months!
    Also, does anyone know if I am allowed to take supply work as a TA or cover supervisor even if I have run out of supply time? And, am I right in thinking that after April 2012 there will be a rule that you have to have started your Induction within 5 years of gaining your PGCE?
    Sorry if this all seems a bit disjointed!
    Many thanks for reading!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't answer all your questions but
    "am wondering whether it's beneficial at all to apply for TA roles as well as Teaching roles?"
    My advice is yes, any experience is good and relevant and in fact last year there was a thread by a Headteacher advising us if uncertain to say yes to doing TA etc.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/521241/7021223.aspx#7021223
    " If I can afford to volunteer in schools should I?" Again I'd say yes. Most of my work on supply over the past 10 years has been gained as a result of doing voluntary work first.
    Best of luck!

4. Thanks for your reply. It's nice to get some feedback on all the thoughts I have whizzing around in my head at the moment!