1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and other...a bit disheartened

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mere57, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I started a post at a school in January. It is a temporary contract until the summer. When we were discussing the post, the head teacher suggested that something might come up for a permanent position and that I need to make my mark.
    I really like the school, kids are great, staff are nice and I am working harder than I ever have before!
    When is the time to ask whether the position could become permanent?
    I realise it's early days...however I don't want to be in the same position as last year. I had a temporary position until the summer. Left it too long before I found out that it wouldn't become permanent and didn't have a job in September :-(
    Thanks in advance x x

2. I started a post at a school in January. It is a temporary contract until the summer. When we were discussing the post, the head teacher suggested that something might come up for a permanent position and that I need to make my mark.
    I really like the school, kids are great, staff are nice and I am working harder than I ever have before!
    When is the time to ask whether the position could become permanent?
    I realise it's early days...however I don't want to be in the same position as last year. I had a temporary position until the summer. Left it too long before I found out that it wouldn't become permanent and didn't have a job in September :-(
    Thanks in advance x x

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, you obviously need to do your best and convince them you're a good potential candidate should a post arise, but you also need to show you're looking at any other possible posts, should nothing come up.
    When you go to your Head to ask for a reference, that's when they might (or equally might not) indicate the possibility of a post at your present school.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The moment you see a job that you would like to apply for.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com