1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and forum members -online applications should I also email an attached a letter ??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Apr 15, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hi [​IMG]
    Read this first.It's at the top of the forum https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/290673.aspx

Sorry about the MASSIVE gap here - my compter [​IMG], and I can't scroll up or down!!
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">

</td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td></tr></table>This bit is for your Personal statement.
    The letter or statement
    • Carry out the instructions
    • No more than two pages means 1&frac12; - 2 pages, not just one paragraph
    • Handwritten if they ask, but typed unless they specifically ask for hand-written
    • Address any issues they ask you to, don&rsquo;t just ignore them
    • Make it specific to this post in this school
    • Wring value out of every sentence you put in, cut the waffle
    • Tell them why they need you, not why you need them
    • Make it specific to their job description, addressing their needs
    • Make it as structured as a good student essay
    • Make it easy to read
    • Get it professionally typed unless you are an ace at laying out documents. A professional lay-out always looks better
    Sample opening paragraph of a letter:
    I wish to be considered for this position and enclose&hellip; I am attracted to this post as a development of my role as&hellip;&hellip; in which I have direct responsibility for &hellip; I have been concerned especially with&hellip;&hellip; I now feel ready to extend this experience of &hellip;.. and &hellip;.. into another school. school XXX is of particular interest to me because of its &hellip;&hellip;&hellip; (Don&rsquo;t say because you live near it!)

Internal structure:
    3 or 4 main sections. I would actually put headings in the letter, to make the structure clear; typical ones could be:
    • Current and recent experience
    • Other achievements relevant to your post
    • The priorities of your post
    • The future of XXX School
    Current and recent experience
    Say what you are doing, but in structured fashion: curriculum role, pastoral role, managerial role, extra-curricular, contact with parents/ other schools, experience of budgeting, etc.

Other achievements relevant to your post
    Responsibilities/ contributions in previous posts; any outside activities that show skills relevant to teaching and managing children and colleagues; any specific training done

The priorities of your post
    What you think the post is about, based on the clues that they give you. What do they need you to do? How would you fulfil this? This is your chance to show them that they need you

The future of XXX school

This is relevant specifically for management level posts, showing that you have an understanding of the type of School that it is, the context that it is working in, and how you could contribute to its development
    THEN, this bit is for your Executive Summary[​IMG];
    The executive summary. The what?
    • Remember the primary aim - to get shortlisted; make it easy for them to select you
    • Will also concentrate your mind in writing a good application letter by reminding you of all your strengths
    • Based on: person specification, job purpose
    • Show both their requirements and how you match up to them
    • Do it in table form, showing their points (good Hons degree) and how you comply: (BSc II(a) Bio London)
    • Must always fit on just one side of A4. The idea is that they can see at a glance everything about you that fits their requirements. One side only.
    An example executive summary is shown below - it relates to a senior management post, but something very similar can be done for a teaching post. The important thing is that the left-hand column is exactly what they are looking for because it comes from their person spec and job details. How can they fail to short-list you if you tick all their boxes?

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">Summary
    John Smith

</td></tr><tr><td> Your requirements</td><td> My experience</td></tr><tr><td>
    • Leadership of others
    </td><td>
    • Deputy Head at Gasworks High
    • Led team that was awarded top grade in Ofsted Inspection, 2004
    • Led successful team planning Curriculum 2000 for 165 sixth formers
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Understanding others
    </td><td>
    • Investor in People Assessor, April 2004: &ldquo;Gasworks staff hold you in high esteem and appreciate you as a supportive and caring Deputy Head&rdquo;
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Drive for Improvement
    </td><td>
    • GCSE A*-C rose from 46% to 68% in 3 years
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Planning and thinking ahead
    </td><td>
    • Managed operational and strategic planning cycles in LeafyLane Comprehensive
    • Contribute to setting and achieving of strategic objectives in Gasworks High
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Understanding the School as a Business
    </td><td>
    • Successful in-depth experience of: budget management; financial planning; monitoring of monthly management accounts; efficiency gains through resource management; income generation; managing change; personnel issues; use of management information to support decision-making
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Influencing
    </td><td>
    • Management of change: new delivery methods, introduction of target-setting in LeafyLane Comprehensive
    • Member of 5 regional and national curriculum development bodies
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Confidence
    </td><td>
    • At LeafyLane Comprehensive, received 3 promotions after I identified a need & filled it
    • Sat, without preparation, GCSE mock exams in Maths, English Language and IT and publicised my results to staff
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Cognitive ability
    </td><td>
    • High scores in verbal reasoning and numeracy tests
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Leadership of School and SMT
    </td><td>
    • Contribution to Management Committees: Senior Leadership Team; Curriculum Management Group; IT Strategy Group; Quality Committee; Academic Board
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Educational standards throughout the school
    </td><td>
    • Responsible for student achievement; awarded two-increment salary increase by Board of Governors in recognition of my contribution to the raising of standards
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Staff appointment, training and other staffing matters
    </td><td>
    • Chaired 8 appointment panels this year
    • Manage the Performance Management Scheme in Gasworks High
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Recruitment and discipline of pupils
    </td><td>
    • Responsible for 180 new enrolments per year, including links with feeders
    • Manage all student matters including discipline, recommendation for exclusion
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Organisation, policies and procedures
    </td><td>
    • Chair Curriculum Management Group, the major policy development forum
    • Devised procedures for: Trips and Visits, Child Protection, Appointments etc.
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Health and Safety
    </td><td>
    • Good level of awareness of Health & Safety, Employment Legislation, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection and other parameters in which a School, as a business, must operate.
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Relations with County Hall
    </td><td>
    • Experienced at external relations
    • Address Chamber of Commerce, Business Education Partnership, Town Councillors, LEA Inspectors, Central Careers staff, etc
    </td></tr></table>
    1. Yes, write an Executive Summary too, but this is a completely separate thing to your personal statement. If you post it, attach it on to the back of your personal statement. If emailing it, I just send it as an extra atthment - but not sure if this is the right thing to do. Your letter of application should be no more than 2 pages.
    2. They usually give you an email address to send the application to. I send it to that address. If there is no name - I look up the Headteachers name etc.
    - Don't do that. A cove letter is just a breif outline of what you are giving them, so if emailing I usually say something along the lines of,
    Dear - whoever it is,
    Please find attached my application, personal statement, and executive summay for the post of . . .whatever the post is
    Yours sincerely, Welshie.
    That's what the Executive summary is for [​IMG]
    Now I might be wrong answering these questions so you might be better to wait until Theo comes along. Good luck with the application [​IMG]

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have the same system as you seem to and this is what I do. It isn't a definitive way, but it has always got me interviews.

I write a very short email message, just a few lines of quick 'I'm pleased to apply, blah blah blah, here's my application form and executive summary'. Then I attach the application form as one document and the ES as a second document. If I could paste the ES onto the form at the end of my statement I would, but the form doesn't let me. If you can add yours to the form then do so.

I email to the HT, unless I don't have their email then it goes to the school office.

Well you are clearly doing something very right. Add in an ES and you'll have a job in no time!

3. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Dear Welschocoholic,
    Thank you. You are so kind to help me out. This has really helped me.
    Regards
    Cristina

4. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Dear Minnieminx,
    Thank you so much for your really clear answer. I now know where I have been going wrong. The fact that I did not include the ES has probably stalled me ( ironically because my very first application was accepted for interview without an ES soI thought It was not necessary until I read the forum and thought that something was missing or there was something wrong with ME.
    Hopefully I will be short listed in the mean time I will read up on how to get that job - the next phase.
    Thanks for your positive ending comment it has made my day.
    Best wishes
    cristina

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck, Cristina - the answers above have covered everything.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.