1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and everyone else who can advise)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thegirlwho, May 16, 2011.

  1. I'm in a little bit of a pickle.



    I'm currently doing my PGCE and on my second placement in a lovely school which I love. I'd do anything to stay here next year, and as luck would have it, they have a job opening!



    Today I found out I'd been shortlisted for another school, one which I just applied to offhandedly and didn't think anything of it - until today! The interview for this school is the day after the deadline for the job at my current placement school.



    The school I have the interview at is a good school, but if they did offer me the job, they'd be likely to do so before I find out if I've been shortlisted for the job at my placement school. I'd be gutted if I was offered it, and accepted it, and then found out I had been shortlisted for the job at my placement school.



    1. Is it appropriate to discuss this with my current head teacher before the shortlisting date? Just explaining the situation and that I'd really like to work there? Or is this not recommended?



    2. Would I be mad to cancel the interview and chance it all on the other job?



    I just don't really know what to do, all I know is that the job I really want is the one at my placement school!
     
  2. I was in a fairly similar situation this time last year and I took the first job over waiting for a placement school. I did that because there weren't exactly hundreds of jobs around. Now I'm working there, it's pretty clear that the school is not the right school for me and I'd have been much better off at a school that has similar values to me.

    Having said that, there aren't hundreds of jobs around. I'd also go to the interview for experience (bear in mind that they do ask you if you are still a firm candidate) and to have a proper look round the school. You may love it!

    Being an NQT I can't really comment on what the respective heads would say if you discussed the situation with them. I would speak to your current head and let them know that you are interested in applying. I'm not sure whether I'd mention any other schools (it's good to show you are wanted, but the deadlines are too far apart for this to really have any impact).

    Well done on getting the interview and good luck!
     
  3. Can you go and visit the other school? It might be great too! My advice would be, in the present climate, to take the job when and if you're offered it. It's very difficult to find a job right now. BUT if you go for a visit and get a negative feeling, then focus on your placement school. Working in a school which doesn't suit you can be very difficult, I've been there. Good luck!
     
  4. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    I would, and recently have, chat to my current head. They need to know you are interested and presumably are a referee for the one you have applied to anyway, so will know.

    But at the end of the day you would be well advised to take the first post offered to you, all other things being equal.
     
  5. Thanks everyone!



    I think I will attempt to chat to the current head. I guess I don't have much to loose, either my application is good enough to be shortlisted, or it's not!



    My gut is telling me to just go all in for job no.2 at my placement school. In many ways I'd rather not get either than get the first one and miss out on the second...
     
  6. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    Don't pull out of the second one until you know about the shortlisting at your placement school. Try to hand your application in a little early and then quiz your teacher tutor/ mentor on how they think things will go. Your HT cannot tell you in case you sue them later.

    Just keep both options open until you absolutely have to decide.
     

Share This Page