1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and everyone else...SO fed up

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sadandconfused, May 23, 2011.

1. I am really getting to the end of my tether with the whole job application process. Had an interview last week; no dice, but probably because I wanted slightly different hours than they had proposed - they said "you gave an excellent interview and it was a really difficult decision, but on this occasion we will not be employing you". Not the most helpful of comments!
    This week - an ideal job comes up; I used the executive summary, I really fitted their essential criteria as well as many of their desirable ones too and yet no call for interview - and they are being held tomorrow so it's fairly safe to assume they don't want to see me. Put together two more applications, taking hours on each one. Got to go in to current school for staff meeting and observation feedback this afternoon and then teach next two days. Am so demoralised, really don't want to go in; current contract ends at end of term and there's been no mention of extending it. Just don't know where I'm going wrong.
    Rant over! Sorry

2. I also feel the same. Yet you are lucky (OP) to be currently employed, many of us are not at the moment. Doing application after application does get a little tedious and in my case out of 25 applications of late, only 1 has requested references and given me an interview (which is on Wednesday this week). I suppose I should be grateful for whatever teaching position is being offered and like Lara, I am a little despondent about it being fixed term (maternity cover) in my case.
    But hey I have to go for it and I will accept it if offered, even though I am feeling excited about some other applications that I have made. First come first served otherwise I could have nothing for a year (potentially), who knows? As Theo said, there will be more vacancies popping out in next few weeks so don't give up yet.

3. Thanks for the moral support. This is (was) a fixed term, one term appointment. However today I was asked if I'd like to stay on for September (needless to say I replied in the positive!) Not sure whether it's another fixed term or a permanent position, but that's something that I can work on - a job for September with all that brings (such as a nice summer holiday for my children and no more form filling) can't be sniffed at!
    Good luck in your searches...if it happened for me with all my work history (and being an expensive UPS2) I'm sure it will for you too - eventually!! [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yay!Hurray for you, after feeling so very FED UP!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!