1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, and everyone else??? Referees

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Blaqk_Rose, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Blaqk_Rose

Blaqk_Rose New commenter

Hi,

I have been hunting for a new position since last Easter to no avail. I've had a lot of interviews, I just keep getting pipped at the post (mostly by cheaper NQTs) One of my referees has had enough (and I guess I don't blame him - I hate the constant form filling too) but its leaving in a bit of a pickle. I have my one school placement for last year and this other one was my curriculum tutor... Can I put two references from my last school? My mentors in my placement schools have either retired or are non-contactable.

Thanks for any response in advance.

2. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

As a PGCE student I had my referees from both of my placement schools, but then these schools merged together and I was appointed a teacher of science at the new academy, therefore both of my references have to come from the same school, as thats where all the staff are. Hasn't been a problem for me.
    Hope this helps,
    Catherine

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's your expert and years ago I used to wonder if having two references from one school was OK,but I've met so many people who do this and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Speaking from the other side of the table (the appointing side!) I can tell you that 2 referees from the same school are no problem.
    In fact, if you've been in the same school for some time, later in your career, someone from another school would be very out of date. So remember this for then!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!