1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and Everyone Else ... Interview Feedback

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by petrapan, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Feedback is so pointless at times. I didn't get a job I attended interview for and I spent ages mulling over their confusing feedback. Eventually, I emailed the head again to explain that I was still confused about what they'd really meant, for future reference, and he (kindly) replied and said I was a great candidate and it had been very close but that they chose a candidate who was on TP at the school and they only wanted one NQT. WHY NOT SAY THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

2. I firmly agree with that point!! I've been on 2 interviews where i was the only male candidate and the existing department was all male; clearly a female teacher was what as desired. And on a third interview the job went to the girl who had been on teaching placement at that school. My point is sometimes the deck is stacked unfairly against you and you loose out for no good reason. I just wish that schools would be clearer in what they were looking for in their adverts so everyone who applied and was shortlisted had a fair shot at the job. It's impossible to guess what a school is exactly looking for from often generic/standard job descriptions and person specifications and therefore often blind luck that you or someone else fits with them. A more open application and interview process would be much appreciated!!

3. Is it worth asking for feedback on why you have been unsuccessful at interview?
    I had two interviews last week and was told I "deserverd more" than the 1st part time temp post and was too inexperienced for the 2nd senior teacher post. I wouldn't mind more detailed feedback. Is there any point in asking? [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope!
    Sorry to be so negative - but really I don't think most feedback is worth the air it is breathed on.
    However, nothing to stop you giving it a try . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!