1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and everyone else- if you do any job while looking for a teaching job does it effect your chances of employment?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kattyanne, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I need some advice! I am an NQT with 6 months maternity cover experience straight after I qualified, but since the contract ended I have not been able to find anything else (yet!). I can't do supply teaching as I am a single parent on income support and because of this any time I work, I will have to start and reclaim benefits if the earnings from work are higher then my received benefits. I would find this very stressful to keep reapplying for benefits! I am going to have to find any job I can at the moment but this means I will not be gaining any classroom experience and I am wondering if it will go against me when looking for a teaching job? I just feel like i'm getting further and further away from getting a job I actually want to do and trained for! Any advice is much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Kate

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there Kate.
    Yes, I know: an awful situation to be in. I feel so sorry for you all.
    The ideal situation would be to get a teaching job, of course. Read this thread where I give advice to another unemployed teacher trying to start induction too.
    NQT Science Teacher without a Job
    The next best would be to get a job as a TA. Here's the hint for this:
    Dear Theo and anyone else...advice on getting a job as a TA
    Failing those two - are there any voluntary things that you could do while taking a job to fill the fridge (and Heads will understand that you have to take a job, any job, don't worry). Cubs, brownies, Sunday School, after-school clubs - anything to keep in touch with children.
    It's not good for your morale to be in such a situation, but do try doing a nice list of all the reasons why you would be an asset to a school. This will cheer you up, as well as being a good start for writing your next application.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

3. Thank you so much for your advice I have asked to volunteer with two separate organisations so fingers crossed i'll gain some experience and maybe even make a few contacts!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck lass!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!