1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and everyone else) - contract dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by adrianjadams, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I recently interviewed at a school (the vacancy was advertised as a 1 year fixed contract with the possibility of going permanent) and was delighted to secure the post (7 of us were interviewed for this NQT role). However, the school have now said it is a maternity contract and that if this person decided to come back to work my contract would be terminated. If I had known this was the case, I probably wouldn't have applied for the job. I have since spoken to the head and he has said that he very much doubts that this person will return and if they do the school will allow me to complete my induction year. He has said he is willing to put this in writing. However, I am still unsure as it will still only be a temporary contract and the notice period would only be 7 days rather than whatever the permanent notice period would be. Since I verbally accepted the role (thinking it was a minimum 1 year role) I have turned down 2 permanent interviews. Should I accept the job if the Head writes a letter saying they will honour the year or should I be more careful?

Thanks for any advice!

2. I should add that I really like the Head and the school!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you like the role and the head then take the maternity cover.

It is very, very unlikely that a person will come back sooner than prearranged, though it CAN happen.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The job situation is currently dire. Dire.
    A third fewer jobs advertised this year than last. Large, very large, numbers of NQTs from 2010, 2009 and even 2008 still looking for jobs to start induction. Redundancies being announced in many schools.
    If you have a job on offer, you would have to be very optimistic to give it up and risk joining the huge crowd of unemployed teachers.
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

5. Thanks Theo and minnieminx. I guess I should be glad I have got something! In that case, I shall gleefully accept and hope it all works out.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fingers crossed for September! ____________________________________________________________

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!