1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and everyone else...application letter help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Grainne1986, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi guys i wanted help with what to include on my cover letter/application letter because everything i want to say is basically in my cv do i repeat this? Currently i have qualification and where gained from, the age ranges and schools in which i've taught and my current job info?
    Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm, most teaching jobs want their LA application form filled in, a few independent schools will ask for a CV, but that is all.
    Qualifications and job information are definitely not part of an application letter.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/290673.aspx

Look on the thread above and then click on all the bits and have a good read. It tells you nearly everything you need to know.

3. This isn't for a specific job its to gain substitute teaching so i have to give my cv to the prinicpals of the schools i want to teach in and i am putting a cover letter with it

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is this in the UK? Your terminology suggests it isn't, which means I wouldn't have a clue what you need to do.

5. of course its in the uk why else would i be asking?? the question wasn't about where i lived its about what to include and the structure of a cover letter

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Golly!
    That's a bit rude!
    So rude, in fact, that even though I am on my hols until September (perhaps you didn't notice the thread telling you that when you addressed your thread to me?), I am moved to answer you.
    1) As Minnieminx says, you do not need a CV for applying to state schools in England and Wales
    2) As Minnieminx says, your use of expressions such as "substitute teaching" and "principals of schools" suggests that you are not applying for a post in the UK, where such terminology is not commonly used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_teacher
    If you were to use such terminology in any application, or at any interview, for a post in the UK, it would doubtless be interpreted as a failure to have up-to-date and relevant familiarity with our educational system, and thus probably exclude you from consideration.
    3) If, instead of writing discourteous posts (we are rather civilised on this Forum), you had happened to open the Welcome Thread (It's above the other thread that you ignored, telling you that I am away), you would see there a lot of very useful clickables that you will explain, inter alia, about cover letters.
    4) A higher standard of grammar and punctuation than is evident in your posts is a sine qua non of a successful application.
    5) You might care to consider whether you should thank both Minnieminx and me for our helpful replies to you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October workshops - see you there!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like minnieminx and Theo, I too presumed with your voabulary usage it was for a post, not in England, and all the good tips are in Theo's clickables at the start of this forum.

8. It was by no way intended to be rude. I did see that you were on holidays and posted it in hope that when you returned you could answer my question as did numerous other people i apologise, i did not realise that i was not supposed to post until September.

1) I am not applying for jobs in england or wales
    2) would i really be excluded from consideration for using the word substitute teaching, that seems very unfair when indeed i have spent 18 years in the UK educational system and having studied to teach the curriculum have an extensive knowledge of it
    3) i did check the welcome thread and unfortunately did not see an answer that helped that is why i posted a question.