1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and everyone) - different structure to my statement with my app form: ok?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nooty, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Maybe a silly question but just wanting approval or a rapid 'HELL no'. Been at this app-writing thing all day so excuse bad typing, grammar, lack of sense...
    The Head at the school I'm applying to said to make it very clear what I could bring to the school. Instead of just saying 'I'm good at this.... I experienced this...', I was thinking about turning it around a bit.
    Their school aims fit uncannily with my own sort of educational philosophy so I thought I could obviously get in there that I've visited, loved it, read about it, loved it more, etc. THEN either: 1) bring up the school aims, say how close they are to my own thoughts, put the aims in as bullets almost (only 8 or so) then put in my experience/skills that fit with those aims. Or 2) Basically say, This is what I can bring to your school, and bullet certain things, i.e. creativity, innovative thinking, good knowledge of blah blah...
    Do either of these sound ok? I just don't want to sound like a false booty-kisser by saying essentially, 'wow - look at that, your school is run how I think!' and make them think I'm not serious. Not sure if it HAD to be continuous prose, I guess.
    And yep, I've done my executive summary and I think it's actually pretty good! Not sure I could turn me down ;)

2. Hi,
    Maybe a silly question but just wanting approval or a rapid 'HELL no'. Been at this app-writing thing all day so excuse bad typing, grammar, lack of sense...
    The Head at the school I'm applying to said to make it very clear what I could bring to the school. Instead of just saying 'I'm good at this.... I experienced this...', I was thinking about turning it around a bit.
    Their school aims fit uncannily with my own sort of educational philosophy so I thought I could obviously get in there that I've visited, loved it, read about it, loved it more, etc. THEN either: 1) bring up the school aims, say how close they are to my own thoughts, put the aims in as bullets almost (only 8 or so) then put in my experience/skills that fit with those aims. Or 2) Basically say, This is what I can bring to your school, and bullet certain things, i.e. creativity, innovative thinking, good knowledge of blah blah...
    Do either of these sound ok? I just don't want to sound like a false booty-kisser by saying essentially, 'wow - look at that, your school is run how I think!' and make them think I'm not serious. Not sure if it HAD to be continuous prose, I guess.
    And yep, I've done my executive summary and I think it's actually pretty good! Not sure I could turn me down ;)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Remember you're trying to sell yourself to the school, how employing YOU would enhance their school, so personally I wouldn't go for option 1, although you might mention your own philosphy and say how closely ithe school's ethos aligns with it, I would definitely expand on 2, how all your experience/expertise/know-how is an opportunity not to be missed & elaborate on how you would hope to achieve that.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not often that the lovely Lara and I disagree, but . . .
    You want to show them that you are what they are looking for. Using the school aims as sections (as headings though, not as bullet points - that's for the exec summary) could be a tidy way of doing that.
    So now you have two pieces of advice . . .
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like Theo's suggestion of usingthe school aims as sub-headings. Wish I'd thought of that, when I did an application, where I did address the school aims & how well I fitted them & didn't even get an interview!
    Good thought Theo!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Bullets - I meant subheadings, to put the school aim as the subheading and then write why I can help them meet their schools aims. I reserved using actual bullet points showing my attributes for my Exec Summary. And continuous prose, that I mentioned, I meant I wasn't sure if it could have subheadings, not that I would write my personal statement in bullets or half sentences! Sorry - typing late on here doesn't help me make sense..!
    Great in theory, but ended up writing so so much. I don't think I have the energy (or the time) to do that for every job, seriously. It took me literally two whole days to do the application, not least because of the terrible formatting of the form (which I couldn't change, document doesn't allow it...which makes it look like I can't keep a consistent font size..!). If I don't get an interview, I will be absolutely gutted. I tried so, so hard with this one.
    My biggest problem at the moment is I just don't know how I'm going to find time to apply for jobs. It's taken me all this half term to apply for 3! I work full time, with part time occupation on the side, with a ridiculous commute - I honestly don't know how I'll keep up my job AND this application writing (taking 8 hours per app on average) starting back this week. I know I'm not alone on this and I'm sure others have it worse, but really, Heads must know how much time it takes to write an application, and know that not every sentence can be linked to their school. Surely there could be a better way? Using a CV plus a personal statement, maybe, instead of the lengthy app form?
    Also, how soul destroying is it, too, to spend all that time and not get an interview, but not even get a letter (or to save paper and time, an email) to tell you..
    I'm not very well today at all and been trying to do another application (even though I can't actually sit up because I go dizzy and my vision blacks out.!). Oh, and heard that my husband may also be out of a job come 8 weeks. Two highly qualified young professionals, jobless at the same time...
    Can you tell I'm feeling somewhat demoralised?
    Sorry. What a miserable read.