1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and everyone) Cover letter but no supporting statement, space for exec summary?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Moony, May 20, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm after applying for a job that wants my CV, cover letter and a very short application form (basically address and reference details) - this job isn't a school job but it's still working in an educational environment. I'd really like to use an exec summary, especially after I wrote a draft version, but I'm not sure if i'll have space as I know that cover letters should only be about 2 sides and I've already filled one side of A4. I'm planning on finishing my cover letter and then getting my ES typed up too to see how long that is (probably at least a sides worth) and then work out what i can use and what I need to ditch, I'm just wondering what you think is the best approach with this.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm after applying for a job that wants my CV, cover letter and a very short application form (basically address and reference details) - this job isn't a school job but it's still working in an educational environment. I'd really like to use an exec summary, especially after I wrote a draft version, but I'm not sure if i'll have space as I know that cover letters should only be about 2 sides and I've already filled one side of A4. I'm planning on finishing my cover letter and then getting my ES typed up too to see how long that is (probably at least a sides worth) and then work out what i can use and what I need to ditch, I'm just wondering what you think is the best approach with this.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No worries.
    The cover letter (by which they actually mean a letter of application - see the FAQs inside the Welcome thread), should be a bit longer than your one side only.
    The executive summary (one page only please - cut it down) is an extra, not part of the letter, which remains two sides.
    I do suggest, however, that if you are e-mailing your application, you put the executive suammry at the end of the letter (but without page numbering) so that it prints out automatically.
    Best wishes