1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and everyone; Atheist in a Catholic School?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, May 2, 2012.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

A job has come up in my area at a Catholic school which looks very interesting- not open to NQTs with opps to lead and manage (although no TLR :[​IMG]) . I know the Head, she used to be Deputy at my current school and I got on very well with her- in fact she has been my referee recently.
    But I am an atheist! I am at a C of E school at the moment and would ideally like a community school job, but beggars can't be choosers...........
    Has anyone worked at a Catholic school? How different is it to C of E? Would I be considered, even if I am not a Catholic? In the past, I have actively avoided catholic schools, feeling that they were just too religious and different but am I being too closed minded?

Your thoughts, as always, welcome![​IMG]

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

A job has come up in my area at a Catholic school which looks very interesting- not open to NQTs with opps to lead and manage (although no TLR :[​IMG]) . I know the Head, she used to be Deputy at my current school and I got on very well with her- in fact she has been my referee recently.
    But I am an atheist! I am at a C of E school at the moment and would ideally like a community school job, but beggars can't be choosers...........
    Has anyone worked at a Catholic school? How different is it to C of E? Would I be considered, even if I am not a Catholic? In the past, I have actively avoided catholic schools, feeling that they were just too religious and different but am I being too closed minded?

Your thoughts, as always, welcome![​IMG]

3. Hi,

I have worked in a catholic school and loved every minute of it. I didn't find it any different apart from the odd mass here and there and prayers said before lunch and at the end of the day.

I am not catholic but I don't think that matters- I wasn't expected to 'convert'!

I didn't find it too religious - in fact it was the best school I ever worked in!! Great staff, support and kids!

I say go for it especially as you know and get on with the head.

One thing I would say is that if you are a woman, and this may sound all wrong so apologies, try not to wear anything that could be seen to be too revealing.

Jaime

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here are a couple of websites that may give you a few more ideas. Being already in a faith school should be helpful for your application.
    http://www.catsc.org/
    http://www.cesew.org.uk/section.asp?id=12
    http://www.e-ctg.com/
    This is appropriate advice for interviewing for a position at any school.
    You are trying to get appointed, not get dated.
    Best wishes

5. I currently work in a catholic school and am not particularly religious. Like a previous poster - not major differences to any other school except prayers after morning and afternoon registration, and one annual school mass, where I am expected to attend and support the school ethos, but not participate fully if I don't want to.
    We've had a tough year with some tragic events, involving staff and students, and the religious side of the school has really helped bring us through I think, with very supportive staff and students.
    Apply for the post, don't let the religious element put you off!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This may be useful too, for posters thinking of applying who are NOT atheists:
    Dear Theo et al - Evidence of Christian commitment
    Best wishes