1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and everybody else, I GOT THE JOB!!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, Jan 18, 2012.

1. There have been so many times when I was upset after yet another 'rejection' and thought I would never be able to write this post again... but here I am, having just accepted a job offer! It's a lovely school with wonderful staff and children, quite a long way to drive (one hour), but worth it I think! Everything at the interview went well for me - and I do think there is always an element of luck as well. Feedback was mainly I did a great lesson with high expectations, and they thought I would 'fit in' really well. And to think I drove home yesterday after the interview worrying that I had forgotten to mention targets :). I still cannot quite believe it. It's 'only' a maternity leave cover till Christmas, but it's just what I needed. I have been fighting against the odds to get another job, as I have one somewhat unfavourable reference (really don't want to even think about that experience and school again). But they wanted me to join their team and rang my supply agency for a more recent, and very positive reference. (Feel like sending them a bottle of champagne as a thank you - would they be surprised?) So, probably will be searching for the next job again at the end of this year, but really looking forward to being a teacher again from April, instead of the endless round of job applications, school visits, rejection letters, and interviews. To all of you who are still looking: keep on looking! I know there are times when you think it won't happen any more, I thought that too, but then it did! Lots of good luck to all of you, and thank you so much everybody for all the advice and support I've had on this (and other) forums - it really helped to keep me going.

2. this is to encourage those who've had a lot of interviews already: It was my 14th interview since last March!

3. Many congrats Gila. [​IMG]

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh Gila what 'splendiferous' news! (Yes. . I knwo that word doesn't exist! Jjust thought this splendid news deserved something unusual.
    So after all those 13 practices you've nailed it!
    Congratulations! You deserve some
    [​IMG] AND
    [​IMG]

5. Lara mfl 05

Bumping this towards the top,so everyone gets to see you awardedd you shiny star.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara - when I post the star, it will automatically get bumped to the top!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Gila!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    Two whole terms, and a chance to put some horrid things behind you, to build up new relationships and new references for the next job. What a great experience!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Congratulations Gila! This job sounds perfect and well done for landing it. You say it's "only" a maternity cover, but it's more than that. It's a boost to your confidence, it's a foot in the door, it's a chance to make a good impression and get an excellent reference.
    Hope it goes well! [​IMG]

9. Dear Theo, thank you so much for that lovely star - and all your help along the way, including the seminar I came to - not sure you remember me, but I was definitely lacking confidence then! Thank you Lara for the splendiferous pics of champagne and chocs (made it real earlier on :). Thank you everybody else for your good wishes - I'm so happy tonight, but also very exhausted (had another interview this morning, but got the call from this school just at the right time, as that was the one I wanted). Mainly I'm very very excited to have my own (lovely!) class again, but also quite scared...

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Don't be, you'll be fabulous! Congratulations [​IMG] x

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gila, I am glad that the seminar helped! No, I don't remember you, because (a) there are usually a few who have been so hammered by life and jobseeking that their confidence is all to bits and (b) above all, you don't have a big label on your forehead tellling me what your TES name is!
    But still absolutely delighted for you!
    Best wishes

12. well I certainly remember you, Theo, you were unforgettable! Have just been to MY new school, and found out that the job is only up to the summer holidays, meaning two new terms, I had assumed two old terms so it would be up till Christmas. Slightly disappointed as I was so overjoyed not to have to continue with job applications etc, but I am still very very happy to have got it for all the previously mentioned reasons, and can't wait to be teaching my lovely class. Apparently there will be a reorganisation of teaching staff for the next school year - you never know, there might be a chance of it continuing. I will be very positive, and look forward to regaining some confidence after a lot of 'hammering' in my last position. I've already discovered a new spring in my step :)

13. Lara mfl 05

Well, that's good news and bad news.
    It <u>will</u> free you to look at Sept. start posts, which are generally more plentiful, but means you'll be doing job applications and potentially asking for time off for interviews and there's often slightly less competition for Spring term start posts.
    So they've given you a 'heads up' on this, so do your very best (not that you wouldn't usually of course) and perhaps they'll be inclined to 'reorganise in such a way that they have a post to offer you.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But in many ways this is much better, because there will be many more jobs available for September than for Christmas. i was actually a tad disappointed when I heard at first, because i thought: "Hmn. Job hunting for January - not so easy".
    And you will be jobhunting from a position of strength - as an actual employed teacher!
    Yes, so I've been told. It's that bald, shiny hairless front that does it.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

15. thank you Theo for being so positive about it!

16. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Well done and congratulations :)
    I hope you enjoy it and the school are great. Maternity covers can lead to long term posts, I started one in Oct where I never thought I'd be made permanent but it turns out another teacher in my department is leaving so it goes to show that anything can happen. Even if not, having a job and more experience really gives you confidence when going for permanent jobs.
    You have done so well and have a great weekend celebrating :)

17. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Yay Gila [​IMG]! x