1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and anyone else who can advise...

Discussion in 'Independent' started by TheoGriff, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!
    We'd be here all evening on this subject!
    So first you need to read the clickables inside the Welcome thread at the top of the page.
    Then you need to do a search. As you can imagine, this is a subject that has come up time and time again, so if you search on "maintained" for example, you'll get some threads where this has been discussed.
    Masses of them. Plenty of reading there!
    But remember - just wanting out of one school/sector is not a good advert for you from the point of view of another school/sector . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

2. As Theo said I wouldn't think that the independent sector is a cure for your stated problems with teaching. If you are disillusioned you will probably feel similarly in the independent sector. Also I would not go into any interview saying anything like your original post.

BUT there is a difference in the private sector. Some good, some bad.

If you're at a good private school you will certainly get students who are more interested in what you have to say and willing to work harder. You will get more parental support with a student who doesn't want to work. However parents will write in much faster and complain if they start to have a doubt about their teacher and private schools (certainly in my experience) demand rather more from their teachers in terms of school trips, extra-curricular involvement and giving up time in boarding schools.

3. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I would second jstone98. The children are often more motivated and respectful and an excellent work ethic is ingrained by school and parents. The school day is usually longer and extra-curricular expectations of the teachers are often higher than in a typical state school (clubs, lunch time extension classes, after school responsibilities). Everything else (planning, marking, reporting, parent's eves etc..) is very similar. Holidays are usually longer [​IMG]

4. We certainly do get inspected, by ISI not OFSTED, and with just as much paperwork

5. I'd agree with the others. It is definately true that pupils in Independent schools are generally more motivated and keen to learn (although there are always exceptions!). The relationships you have are therefore less combative. BUT the academic expectations and pressures are generally much higher and parents are on your case much more. You are expected to respond to parental concerns quickly and effectively and be able to justify your decisions as a teacher...there are a lot of after school expectations but longer holidays so it tends to balance out...