1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - and anyone else. 'Oustanding Teacher'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ellie_rose, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but I just want something clarified. If a school is advertising a vacancy and they say they are looking for an 'outstanding teacher', what evidence of this are they expecting? I have seen a job I really like the look of in an outstanding school but they are also asking for someone outstanding. I am an NQT, recently finished a PGCE and got an overall 'Good' rating but in the past I've had observations that have elements of outstanding. Just a bit confused as it's all a bit vague. If I applied with the little experience I had, would they reject me outright because I don't show enough evidence of being outstanding? Their personal statement is full of this word and they seem to be really pushing for it.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

They will want to see an outstanding lesson in your interview, or a lesson with the potential to be so. x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do they specifically say that they do not want a NQT? I mean, do they say that they are looking for an experienced teacher? If they haven't ruled out NQTs, then they will realise that you will not have the same experience or evidence base as other applicants.
    You will certainly need to show evidence of outstanding in any interview lesson. But to get there, you'll need to impress with your application. Mention the elements of outstanding, say how you are working to increase these, to become outstanding overall by the end of your induction year. Something along those lines. And of course, read my advice in the clickables inside the Welcome thread!
    And to help you on your way, first there's this TES Careers seminar:
    S49. How to become Outstanding– Saturday September 24th – Improving your lessons – inspiring learning
    Presented by Sara Bubb
    For more information please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop49.eventbrite.com
    And for preparing any interview lesson, buy this book from Amazon:
    [​IMG]
    Pimp Your Lesson!: Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and
    Perfect (Continuum Practical Teaching Guides): Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and
    Perfect (Continuum Practical Teaching Guides)

It tells you exactly what you need to do to produce observed lessons that tick all the right boxes and come in as outstanding. (This is, of course, what you need to do every day in teaching, for the sake of the pupils, but it isn't always possible).
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Mmm, I didn't know whether or not to post this but I may as well: I bought the 'Pimp my lesson' and didn't find it very helpful or, dare I say, particularly geared towards interview lessons: it was more of a "what to do for observations in your existing school."
    It was only around £5 so no harm done really - but I wasn't impressed to be honest!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, no BadgerGirl - say it like it is!
    You are correct that it is not geared specifically to interviews, but to observations in general. However, an interview lesson is an observed lesson. In particular the section on the planning is extremely good, I think.
    My view is that it is a great book, but everyone will find in it things that they do, or do not, like!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

6. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I took Theo's advice and bought the book (yes you should be on commission Theo) and loved it. I'm not sure why the poster thinks an outstanding interview lesson and an outstanding observation lesson should be that different. I shared it with colleagues as we're due to be ofsteded this year ( not sure when this became a verb- sounds as tortuous as it feels!) and they all loved it so much they bought their own copies.
    The only comment I could make is that it is clearly written with secondary phase in mind, but I still found lots of useful tips and info for primary Very readable and funny too.