1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear theo (and anyone else) interview lesson TIPS!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by af2006, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have an interview on wednesday part of it is a teaching a 30 minute lesson to y1. My questions really is do I play it safe or go a little creative? It is a writing task so one option is to give the children a scene ffrom the story and they would add a speech bubble for the characters. The other option is to give them the characters to build their own scene from story then add the writing. It is a mixed ability group. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I havne't had to do an interview lesson before!!
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, well done on getting an interview!
    Now, we don't give help on here for actual interview lessons. Here's my Blue-Peter-I-prepared-it-earlier answer to explain why.
    Firstly,
    it's got to be you, and your ideas, so that you feel comfortable about
    what you're doing, and so that the school sees you, and not me or
    somebody else. And secondly and more importantly, because <u>you</u> are the expert here, not me!
    So you will just have to sit down, think of what your aims are (including the Ofsted criteria - one of the links in the Interview Tips clickable in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum says what schools are looking for in interview lessons),
    Take a look also at my Possible interview questions clickable in the Welcome thread
    Make
    sure you plan a lesson that enables children to progress, and have a
    plan that you will press on the observer that includes differentiation,
    just in case you don't get round to using it in the lesson itself.
    And
    a third reason is that this is a public forum, and other candidates for
    the same job might see the suggestions too . . . and wouldn't you look
    daft doing the same thing!

One of the other Heads on this
    Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had
    got from the Primary Forum on here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    Heads expect you to prepare your own lesson, so I'm afraid that you're going to have to sit down and work on it.
    But do go and look at the advice in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum

So that's why we don't give help on this!
    Very best of luck. I look forward to you starting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would say that you're better off doing a creative lesson than a safe one, as long as you feel comfortable teaching the creative one. You want to impress the school and obviously a well-taught creative lesson looks impressive. But a well-taught safe lesson looks better than a badly-taught creative lesson.