1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and anyone else, impartial advice please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

This may not seem like the biggest of issues but I would appreciate people's thoughts.
    I trained as a primary school teacher a few yrs ago, mainly in Yrs 5 and 6. I then got a job, miraculously, it now seems! as an NQT in a Y1/2 job. I had been put off Upper KS2 by some of the challenging behaviour I had experienced (hacksaw in my face on day 2) and thought infants might be easier. It was just different although I did enjoy it. I was then moved to Y3 and I'm now in my second yr of teaching Y3, which I like alot. Our school recently just managed a satisfactory for OFSTED but it feels like I have to relearn how to teach all over again with the new framework and there is huge pressure on us all to raise attainment.
    But I want to move on to a different school, whilst I am still relatively cheap and also because the management of the school has been weak and unclear. New SLT are great but the Head lacks leadership and people skills. HIs guidance has been very confusing, he changes his mind alot and buys into every new initiative, you never know what is expected. We have had four deputy heads since I have been there! Staff are demoralised and there is not a lot of bonhomie at work, but quite a lot of whispering behind doors and people doing their own thing.
    Last year I ALMOST got a job at this lovely city school, which is known for its strong leadership and is a good school in a deprived area. I came second to a NQT who had been on placement there, there were over 100 applicants. A job has come up there again (permanent) and it is exactly the kind of school I would like to work in next but it is an upper Key stage 2 post and I'm worrying that moving year group again will be too big a learning curve, along with moving school and learning all of their new practises. I know behaviour is challenging at this new school and I still feel somewhat bruised by my experiences as a trainee, but have developed much better strategies since then, albeit with younger children. I know I will need to be strong to cope in this new school, but I also know that support is strong there and it has an excellent reputation.
    Should I apply?( I am presuming I can re apply?) Or wait for a Y2/3/4 job to come along so that the jump to a new year group is less great? It's a question of moving to a better school in a year group I'm less keen on, or possibly staying at my currrent school (which is never going to flourish under our Head) in a year group i'm more comfortable with? Or presuming that a Y2/3/4 job at a good school locally comes up?
    I feel I have my answer through writing this out. I should probably just apply and see what happens.......

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

This may not seem like the biggest of issues but I would appreciate people's thoughts.
    I trained as a primary school teacher a few yrs ago, mainly in Yrs 5 and 6. I then got a job, miraculously, it now seems! as an NQT in a Y1/2 job. I had been put off Upper KS2 by some of the challenging behaviour I had experienced (hacksaw in my face on day 2) and thought infants might be easier. It was just different although I did enjoy it. I was then moved to Y3 and I'm now in my second yr of teaching Y3, which I like alot. Our school recently just managed a satisfactory for OFSTED but it feels like I have to relearn how to teach all over again with the new framework and there is huge pressure on us all to raise attainment.
    But I want to move on to a different school, whilst I am still relatively cheap and also because the management of the school has been weak and unclear. New SLT are great but the Head lacks leadership and people skills. HIs guidance has been very confusing, he changes his mind alot and buys into every new initiative, you never know what is expected. We have had four deputy heads since I have been there! Staff are demoralised and there is not a lot of bonhomie at work, but quite a lot of whispering behind doors and people doing their own thing.
    Last year I ALMOST got a job at this lovely city school, which is known for its strong leadership and is a good school in a deprived area. I came second to a NQT who had been on placement there, there were over 100 applicants. A job has come up there again (permanent) and it is exactly the kind of school I would like to work in next but it is an upper Key stage 2 post and I'm worrying that moving year group again will be too big a learning curve, along with moving school and learning all of their new practises. I know behaviour is challenging at this new school and I still feel somewhat bruised by my experiences as a trainee, but have developed much better strategies since then, albeit with younger children. I know I will need to be strong to cope in this new school, but I also know that support is strong there and it has an excellent reputation.
    Should I apply?( I am presuming I can re apply?) Or wait for a Y2/3/4 job to come along so that the jump to a new year group is less great? It's a question of moving to a better school in a year group I'm less keen on, or possibly staying at my currrent school (which is never going to flourish under our Head) in a year group i'm more comfortable with? Or presuming that a Y2/3/4 job at a good school locally comes up?
    I feel I have my answer through writing this out. I should probably just apply and see what happens.......

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Funny how sometimes, just giving voice to our thoughts makes them clearer in our minds.
    You'll never know if you never try. But please be a ware another school may look 'greener' but will always have different challenges. You say your current school is 'never going to flourish', but wouldn't it be wonderful to be a part of that if you were to start supporting the Head. You've already developed better personal strategies yourself for behaviour, perhaps some of the Head's initiatives are worth considering.

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I understand that every school will have its own challenges. I am wary of getting stuck at one school though, I see alot of NQTs who never move on and then their experience is narrowed. I want to work in different settings and learn and go into management.
    You presume I am not supporting my Head. I very much am. He likes me and we have a good relationship. He has made some spectacularly poor errors of judgement though and his time as a Head has been fraught with a high staff turnover. The initiatives he goes with often contradict each other and staff are left unclear of what he wants . He is getting a lot of support from the local authority. There are some excellent things happening at school but they have not been brought in by him, although now he is pretending he knew all of this stuff all along which is annoying. He himself became a Head too quickly after only a few yrs teaching and only in one yr group so his expertise (particularly for a tricky school like ours) is lacking.
    However, it is certainly not all bad. Mainly, I want to move on before I become too expensive and too comfortable.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Often happens!
    Read the shortlisting advice in the Welcome thread. See how good your executive summary looks when you've done it (always do it before the letter). If it looks thin, then probably not for you, but if it is looking solid, then write out the application, and if you get interviewed, see how it feels.
    Don't forget that you can withdraw from any job application right up to when they ring you up to offer you the job, so you are not committed until you accept it then.
    Now another point.
    You have a very common error in your post - it comes twice, so it's not a typo. You are not the only one, don't worry, so we have a thread all about it! I'd hate you to stymie your chances of getting that job by repeating this error in your application, or even worse, by writing it on the board during the lesson.
    So read this thread carefully, spot your error . . . and eliminate it!
    A quick grammar lesson. :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's one that seems to happen a lot, isn't it?