1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and anyone else) - CVs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NewTeacherGirl, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    I'm applying for a job at the moment and they have asked me to fill out the usual application form and provide a cover letter, but they have also asked for a CV to be provided. I have never had to do this before, so I'm a bit unsure of what they're looking for.
    So far I've got (in this order):
    Name/address/other contact and official teaching details
    List of qualifications - PGCE, degree, A Level and GCSE grades
    Past teaching jobs, with dates, locations and an explanatory paragraph detailing my experiences there.
    Interests outside teaching.

Is there anything missing that should really be in there? Should I explain my experiences on PGCE or leave it to stand for itself (it was a few years ago now)? Are they basically looking for a quick summary of my application form, supporting statement and cover letter, or are they looking for anything extra?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It is unusual to be asked for a CV but someone else recently asked the very same problem and I think it was Theo directed them to a link. Can't find the thread just at the moment try putting 'CV' in the Forums search and ticking Jobseeker's only and see if you can find it.

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

It does seem unusual to be asked to provide a CV, but as Theo says there are some good examples out there online - have a look and remember not to plagiarise!

4. Thankyou for the replies everyone, some very useful tips.

Theo - I have had a look around the net and pretty much every CV I have seen has the bulk of the information bullet-pointed. Is this wise on a teaching CV? I have currently written a small paragraph of information for the important bits of my CV (teaching experience e.t.c.) - should I convert this to bullet points so the school can easily pick out the important bits?

5. Ive got a similar situation

"<font size="2">In addition to a completed application form, please provide
    a letter of application and curriculum vitae.
    </font>

CVs
    should include a complete career history and details of professional learning
    opportunities"

Should i be doubling up all the stuff already in the application form ?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, it's a long time since I saw a teaching CV except for a Leadership post!
    I suggest that you have bullet points, in bold, then a very brief bit underneath saying what your responsibilities or achievements were.
    No etc. Only your teaching experience warrants further information.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars