1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and anyone else...advice on getting a job as a TA

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Sep 5, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Where I live schools advertise on the LA website. There is a section for TAs and about now is when there will be a zillion adverts, well not quite but certainly lots.
    Errrr you have GCSEs, A-Levels and a degree, how is that 'no qualifications'? You also have 4 years of experience. You have heaps more than a great many people applying to be TAs. Stop being so modest and worrying about it and get applying. You are likely to be snapped up in no time.

You aren't near Oxford by any chance are you?

2. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

Hi Becky,
    I would recommend doing some voluntary work in schools (if you haven't already) as:
    a) It will give you some relevant experience when applying for TA posts
    b) It's good background experience for your PGCE application
    c) You could make some useful contacts who might be able to help you find a TA job
    As MinnieMinx said you can find TA jobs advertised on the local authority websites and apply for them. Where I live there are usually over 100 applicants for a TA post at the moment so don't be disheartened if you're not successful straight away. If you find you're not getting anywhere with the applications you could consider doing supply TA work through an agency in order to get more experience.
    I did pretty much exactly what you're planning on doing and the school were not put off by my lack of TA qualifications. I would try to apply for as many jobs as you can - read Theo's clickables in the welcome thread for advice on applications. If you live in a city make sure you look at the surrounding local authorities (in my experience they tend to get less applications) especially schools that are difficult to get to via public transport (but only if you have a car!). As an aside; the school I ended up working at offered to support my application for a GTP place (as an alternative to doing a PGCE) so that could be worth looking at when you do find a job.
    Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could also contact your local Independent schools (look them up on the ISC website), and set out clearly but succinctly what you could offer, and ask if you could come in briefly to talk about the possibility of a job as a TA.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

4. Thank you MayKasahara - this is really useful advice. I am going to ring up a few local primary schools and try to get some volunteer work organised. I have also signed up to an agency as well. Unfortuneately, although I have tried to look for jobs on my L.A website, there isn't much advertised, and so I may take Theo's advice...
    I know that having contacts will be very useful. I already sent my CV into a special needs school on the recommendation of a friend who said that a TA position had opened up, although they weren't advertising. I am going to ring them up again today, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
    It's a relief to know that the school you were/are working at wasn't put off by your lack of TA qualifications-it gives me hope. Congratulations on the offer of support for your application!

5. Miniminz-I'm not in the Oxford area I'm afraid-I'm in the Kent area, and I live in Tunbridge Wells...
    Thanks for your reply! It lifted my spirits a bit, and encouraged me to focus on all the things I can offer, and all of the skills that I have, as opposed to what I don't have yet.
    I'm definitely going to be more proactive from now on...and I'll let you know if I have any luck!

6. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

You're welcome. Theo's advice is always excellent! I thought of two more things when I was out jogging just now:
    1) Round here most of the TA jobs in independent schools are advertised in the local paper; it would be worth scanning the jobs pages every week in case you see any vacancies to apply for, even a job in a secondary school could be a useful step in the right direction.
    2) If you don't already you could offer to run lunchtime or after-school Japanese club in your applications. I'm sure lots of schools would be interested in this.

7. Thanks for the additional advice! I'm actually in the process of applying for a TA post at a special needs school...I have made sure to tell them that I would be happy to teach basic level japanese classes. Hopefully they will be interested in this.
    The deadline is next monday...fingers crossed! I will let you know if I'm successful.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know how long you have been lurking on this forum, but we have a tradition.
    When you get a job, you start a brand-new thread called "Dear Theo - I got that job!".
    And then I give you a special twinkly, sparkly star.
    [​IMG]

Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!