1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and anybody!) - Lesson obs and interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dav1970, May 16, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi
    I have a lesson obs and interview looming for my dream job.
    The lesson obs is for a Year 4 class on Number Facts so I have one planned based on a mixed pair whole class investigation. I'm happy with that unless anybody has a better suggestion?
    As for the interview, I have to prepare a presentation for the governors no more than 8 minutes long on raising and maintaining standards within the school. I'm currently working for a school with very challenging children and have done very well (the head's words, not mine!) with the so called 'class from hell' who I have 'tamed'. So I feel I have some good experience in that department.
    So my question is this. Shall I do a PPT presentation or should I simply talk about what I have done as well as future expectations that I would expect of any class that I get? Should I 'big up' the school I'm trying to get into somehow or will they be scrutinising me to see a drive, commitment and passion for keeping standards high? Any other advice?
    Thanks in advance
    D

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would have a PPT with just my subheadings. Or at least I will next time. I didn't have a powerpoint for my recent presentation and none of the panel looked up from their pads of paper at any point. Very hard to talk to the tops of people's heads!

I wouldn't 'big up' their school, but I would tailor my presentation to what they are working on.

But then again I didn't get the job!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Minnie has given a few tips above, but for the benefit of all posters, I am going to set out below an answer that, in true Blue Peter fashion, I prepared earlier.
    Well done for getting that interview!
    However . . .
    Sorry, but . . . I don't give help, ideas, comments or ANYTHING about interview lessons.
    And I don't suggest that any other poster does, either.
    There are 3 main reasons for that:
    Firstly,
    it's got to be you, and your ideas, so that you feel comfortable about
    what you're doing, and so that the school sees you, and not me or
    somebody else. And secondly and more importantly, because <u>you</u> are the expert here, not me!
    So you will just have to sit down, think of what your aims are (including the Ofsted criteria - one of the links in the Interview Tips clickable in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum says what schools are looking for in interview lessons),
    Take a look also at my Possible interview questions clickable in the Welcome thread
    Make
    sure you plan a lesson that enables children to progress, and have a
    plan that you will press on the observer that includes differentiation,
    just in case you don't get round to using it in the lesson itself.
    And
    a third reason is that this is a public forum, and other candidates for
    the same job might see the suggestions too . . . and wouldn't you look
    daft doing the same thing!

One of the other Heads on this
    Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had
    got from the Primary Forum on here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    Heads expect you to prepare your own lesson, so I'm afraid that you're going to have to sit down and work on it.
    But do go and look at the advice in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum

Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi Theo
    Apologies for any misunderstandings but I'm happy with the lesson I've written and going for it. I really needed advice on the interview presentation, of which Im going for Minnie's advice.
    Many Thanks
    D

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I know, but I like to have the chance from time to time to put in that Pre-Packed answer, to dissuade other posters!
    Best of British to you.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!