1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and anybody else!), more advice on exec summary please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Teacher451, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

Having read through the endless pages of your advice to potential jobseekers I finally feel happy about starting my application for the 'dream job'. Thank you! I am however finding a lot of crossover with what I have written in my exec summary (all tailored to the person spec) and what I would usually include in the personal statement. The school hasn't asked for a letter, but there is space for a personal statement in their application form. I don't want to bore them and give them unnecessary extra reading (do not want my app to be thrown in the bin!), but also do not want to undersell myself. For example I am graded as an outstanding teacher which went on the top of the exec summary, should I leave it at that or quote from the Ofsted report in further detail within my personal statement? Also, my exec summary has managed to stay within a page, although I have missed out points from the person spec I think they will assess at interview (e.g. has a good sense of humour). I hope this is the right way to go? Sorry for lots of rambling questions, I just have so many it seems! Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you in advance :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a covering letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread which explains the difference here!
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Teacher 451 - it looks as though the form has room for the executive summary, so put it there and then do a separate application letter.. Even though they don't ask for one!
    And make sure that you have the essential information in both the executive summary and the letter - each should stand on its own with everything important there, although in a different format, and with more details in the letter, and extra things about your philosophy and ethos of teaching, etc.. So really impoortant things such as the Outstanding should be in both - after all, in any situation, a summary should always include the essentials of the fuller document.
    Best wishes

3. Thank you for your reply :)

I can't work out how to quote or I would have done! The application form clearly asks for a personal statement in the space provided, so if it specifically asks for a personal statement I assume that I don't do the letter of app, just a covering letter and an executive summary? I won't worry about repeating important info then, I will just make sure I go into more detail and highlight its relevance to the school I am applying to. Thank you once again for your valuable advice!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Best of luck with your application.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your executive summary goes into the personal statement space - it is a statement in summary form.
    Then you do a letter of application. Not a covering letter, a letter of application.
    Best wishes

6. Aha! Thank you for clarification, brain must be in hibernation for Easter :)

Thank you for well wishes Lara, and of course thank you again to theo!

7. Hello,
    I'm currently scouring these forums for advice on applications. It makes me nervous just to think my application could be thrown away at first glance - this leaves me going round in circles! The post explaining what an effective application should have put my mind at ease somewhat. However, the posts that I will be applying for are linked on 'jobsites' with the option to 'Apply now'. This leads to their online form which only allows space for a personal statement or information in support of this application. There doesn't seem an option to attach a cover letter and/or executive summary. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If there is the option to email the application to the school would this be preferable? I'm getting nowhere fast and the deadlines are approaching.
    There are two websites in particular that I use. I did send off an application via one of them last year but wasn't shortlisted - whether or not this has any significance I'll never know.
    Just wondered if anyone has any ideas.