1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SBW2009, May 25, 2012.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi
    Seen a job that closes on Monday and interviews on Wednesday for a mainscale teacher with an exception candidate able to receive a TLR which will be discussed and decided after the interview.
    Now this is a step backwards (I'm head of department) but this is about an hour away from where I want to live (much closer than I am now) but
    1. Less money (tlr amount not given, no guarantee that if I was successful I would get it)
    2. it's not my ideal job
    3. I won't be informed till Tuesday and I'll have to make the journey down Tuesday straight after school and then back on Wednesday night (will have to phoning in sick to my second job- it's casual and I won't get another shift if they know why- my current school know the truth)
    4. I don't have the money, energy or time to waste doing the journey for there to be a done deal!

But, this is it for another year, I hate my current place and my life where I am.

Very confused!

What are people gut feelings about this? Are they going through the motions? Is it wrong to do a backwards step?

Massive thanks for reading x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn!
    You are really asking us to persuade you to go for it!
    Point 1: but if you don't get the TLR, you can turn down the offer
    P2: Sounds less non-ideal that the current one that you hate
    P3: Everyone will be in the same situation, interviewing with no notice.
    P4: Yes, Last Chance Saloon!
    That is the first thing that they will ask when they see your application, so you have to be up-front about it in the letter. Tell them that you will be able to make an especially useful contribution as TLR as you have wider experience; say that you are taking what seems like a backward step because you need to be living near your partner/Mum/Granny, and are prepared to lose salary to have a happier life.
    Now: read all the advice in the shortlistring clickables inside the Welcome thread - people say THIS GIVES RESULTS!
    Best wishes.