1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear theo and all,

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Feb 5, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Now I know I am <u>VERY </u>lucky to have a temporary contract at the moment, but still obviously have to apply for permanent jobs.
    Not so deep down though, I am feeling as if I'm just wasting my time really, and I will never get a PERMANENT teaching job. Having never had a PERMANENT teaching job, I'm just wondering really I suppose how long do you continue applying until you knowit' timeto stop - has been far too long already! Thanks .

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

" Come on now chocoholic",she says in best schoolmistress voice!
    Yes it IS very hard to motivate yourself to apply for yet another post after numerous temporary ones (and I ought to know, as I've been on over 10 years of them!). Each one gives you extra experience and enlarges your 'skill set', so make the most of that in your application.
    Yes, it is difficult at present, especially in Primary, but for a school who doesn't want to have a complete 'rookie' but rather someone with experience, you could well be their ideal candidate. If you don't try, how will you ever know?
    Remember there are many others, who also have failed to gain that all important permanent post as yet and yet just take a look back through the threads saying 'Dear Theo I've got the job threads over the past 6 months- there are lots. Next time it might be YOU!

3. welshchocoholic1

not 10, but 6 [​IMG]
    I am neither a rookie, nor experienced [​IMG]
    I have been trying[​IMG]!
    Doubtful [​IMG]
    Sorry to be so negative.

4. Why haven't you had a permanent position?

5. Lara mfl 05

Sorry I came over all 'school-maam'-ish! (Knuckles duly wrapped!)
    Actually if you're 'neither a rookie, nor experienced', you're in an ideal position. Don't need too much support and aren't as expensive as some others. presumably on lotsof temp posts, you won't have progressed quite so far up the pay scale.
    "Sorry to be so negative." Now what's that's song say ;something about 'whenever I fool the people, I fool myself as well'. So how good an actress are you?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What can I add?
    You are just being overcome with Sunday-blues on a horrid cold day in February. And perhaps that bronchitis is threatening again . . .
    The current school chose you, wanted you, and hasn't turned you away yet - not one single morning!
    You now know that you CAN do it, that you CAN get a job.
    So, no doubt, you WILL.
    Very bestest wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

7. welshchocoholic1

Sorry I came over all 'school-maam'-ish! (Knuckles duly wrapped!) Haha Lara, don't worry you didn't[​IMG]!
    'Why haven't you had a permanent position? '
    Because I can't do interviews at all[​IMG]! I'm hopeless and useless at them.
    - That's not the problem, though I have nearly lost my voive again[​IMG]
    I don't think it's the weather that stops me getting a job[​IMG]
    There's still a chance [​IMG]!
    What do you want to bet on that then?
    I think I will actually reach retirement age before I get a PERMANENT teaching job!

8. welshchocoholic1

5!!! - <u>MUST NOT</u> put so many in next time!!!

9. Lara mfl 05

It's not the smilies which are the problem, just the number of unhappy ones which we object to.

10. welshchocoholic1

. .and my ability to spell it would seem!
    Lara - I did balance them out so you wouldn't all think I'm just really miserable/grumpy, or words to that a/effect. I have 2 sad, 2 happy, and one um [​IMG]!

11. That's evidence that you are NOT useless and hopeless at interviews. If that were the case, you would NEVER have got any kind of job at all in your life! If you tell me that IS the case, then I'll eat my hat because I don't believe that you've never had any kind of job at all!
    As the saying goes, better to try and fail than not at all because each time you try, you get a step closer, but I won't say anymore to convince you on this because what you say may or may not be true. I merely suggest the following:
    1. Treat yourself tonight and don't think about work at all for the next few hours.
    2. When you have some free time tomorrow, sit down and write down the heading I AM USELESS AND HOPELESS AT INTERVIEWS. Then, write down (sorry to sound like Jeremy Kyle here) how sure you are about this in terms of a percentage from 0-100%.
    3. Jot down as many reasons as you can possibly think of as to why you're hopeless and useless at interviews with evidence wherever you can.
    4. Jot down as many reasons as you can about why this statement may NOT be true no matter how silly a reason you think it may be. I've given you a reason above.
    5. Read through what you've written and repeat step 2 (about how sure you are that this is true).
    6. Write down 3 things you could do to act upon this conclusion. E.g. If you are 100% certain that you are hopeless and useless at interviews after step 5, one thing you could do is looking for non-teaching jobs.

When all that is done, come back on here and tell us what the outcome of these steps are because I'm a very nosy person and want to know what you think afterwards!
    Take care!