1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all you clever people: referees

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ladykaza, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dear Theo and anyone else with good advice.
    I am about to jump back into the job market again. I have taken a few months break having got somewhat disheartened, but am feeling brave once more.
    My question is about my referees. Number 1 is my current headteacher. Previously I have always given the second reference as a teaching colleague I had worked with, at my present school, for a number of years. Although she had moved on by the time of the applications I felt she was more appropriate, as none of my other colleagues had worked with me for more than 1 year. (very small school)
    This situation is now different so should I go with:
    1. My original choice, an experienced colleague with whom I worked for a number of years but who has not worked with me now for 18months or so.
    2. Another colleague, with whom I still work, and has now worked with me for 2 years.
    Any advice would be most gratefully received.
    Thanks folks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I give my current HT and my most previous HT ( I left that school 3 years ago). We also have space for a third referee and so I give the DH of a previous school who can comment well on my leadership ability as I had a leadership role at that school.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for feeling brave and perky again - schools need teachers like you!
    I would go for 1.
    Make sure that you read the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread to get tips on how to write an effective application that shows your strengths.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Thanks folks, will do. Everything crossed.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.