1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and All- Visiting a school ( i know so many topics like this!)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by f.a.b, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo and all,

Firstly I know there have been a few threads on visiting schools etc but can't seem to find any answering my query.

Everyone keeps saying it is essential to make a school visit, however what if nothing about a visit is mentioned in the advert? I feel as though I would be putting the school out by having to make arrangements for me? or do you think others may also have asked to visit and they'll bunch us together for a tour etc?

I want to do the most professional thing; ring and arrange a visit or just apply as usual?

by the way it's been one yr on supply, haven't done NQT yet and I am very desperate to get a job to do my NQT asap.

Many thanks all!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If it is a SLT post, then definitely ring to visit.
    If not (as is your case), then don't suggest it to an independent school (you are considering these too, aren't you? You can do your induction there too, you know), as they do not regularly offer visits.
    If it is a state school, and is primary, then you can enquire whether they are thinking of offering the possibility of visits. If there is any hesitation, then you can backtrack and say "I do realise that this is a busy time of year for you, I just thought that it you had some visits organised then i could come too, but if you haven't then that's fine, I wouldn't want to make it even busier for you."
    It is depressing for you not to be in induction yet, so as a reminder I am just going to copy here what I have just said to another poster:
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Now you have some supply under your belt, do make sure that you are making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply. Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is on 26th November - led by two good colleagues of mine.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars gives more details.
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else in the TES team. Again, people have found this helpful (although I personally shall not now be available until mid December, my colleagues from Tes Prime also offer this):
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between JSA and a salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Thanks so much Theo, your posts are always helpful. and yes I have been reading all your advice on applications, exec summaries etc in the summer. This is my first application since last academic yr so I am very excited and positive and going to do everything you have mentioned in your threads.

Also this is a state secondary school.

Thanks again