1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all users - Not getting interviews and not sure why

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by adw8311, May 6, 2012.

1. *bump*
    Please help - any and all advice is appreciated!
    Angie

2. What happened?

3. I just didn't fit in - IMHO I don't think they really wanted the teacher to go on maternity (when I left, I heard she was going back after only 7 weeks leave!) - and was "asked to resign"... I was quite glad at the time but now I'm worried it looks bad on my applications for new employments. I've stopped using them as a reference (instead using my agency contact and my HoD at my latest school - but again, worried that it looks bad!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K. Angie, let's look at this point by point.
    Question 1 Are you emphasising those good points that you mention, in your applications? They are very positive points. And in particular, are you Bigging Up your supply history, rather than playing it down?
    Supply is no easy option and gives a great deal of professional development. I always have had a great deal of time for those who have done supply.
    Are you presenting this positively, therefore, in your applications?
    Let's look at what you gain from doing supply. The supply teaching has given you flexibility and versatility, allowed you to observe a variety of different classroom practices and learn from them,, improved your classroom management skills from dealing with a wide range of different pupils, from the too-compliant to the downright difficult. You have gained self-reliance, have learnt to work co-operatively with colleagues in different types of schools, you are able to deal with difficult situations (and difficult people), you have experience of a wide range of year groups. You have become a much more effective teacher than you were before, and are very grateful for these opportunities.
    Are you setting all this out in the letter, right at the beginning, getting it all in before you even mention the word "Supply"?
    Since successfully completing my PGCE in xxx I have been able to acquire etc etc etc through a series of contracts as a supply teacher. (You can easily write a whole paragraph on the benefits of supply and what it will enable you to bring to this school).
    Make sure that you get someone who you've worked for in a school to write one of your references, and get him/her to include the phrase "Would appoint without hesitation if I had a vacancy". Get into your letter that schools asked for you by name from the agency (but only if true, not if not!), that you had repeat postings because you were a valued colleague.
    In other words, don't be apologetic, supply is great preparation for the day-to-day of teaching.
    Question 2 The main thing is not to lie. You absolutely must not lie. And as for "Do you think there is a reason that schools only want to employ you for a year?" , do respond politely that there is currently a surplus of teachers in this area, and so there is great competition for employment. However, as my references from School X and School Y clearly show, those who do appoint me on a short-term basis are very pleased with my contribution to the learning and progress of pupils and to the school overall.
    Ignore feedback, most of it anyway, as they often say just anything that you cannot dispute. Just remember that they knew all that when they shortlisted you.
    Question 3 What can you do? Three things in my view.
    (1) Read and take on board all the advice on here. It is mostly in the Shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, but here's a summary of the steps to take:
    Application
    (2) Book now for the Winning that Teaching Job seminar in London this coming Saturday. Don't tell me you live too far away - people came last Saturday from N Yorkshire!
    www.tesweekendworkshop103.eventbrite.co.uk
    (3) Expand your job search to Independent Schools. There are, for example, In dependent Preps which do ages 8 - 13. This sounds perfect for you. Read all about Indy schools on the Independent forum, in the Welcome thread there.
    Hope all this helps.
    Best wishes.

5. Thanks Theo, all very much appreciated and you're probably right when you say that I haven't been playing up the more positive aspects of my experiences of being on supply!

I have applied for 2 more jobs today and hope that there will be a few more before the end of the year for me to have a crack at...
    I can't get this weekend (getting some life into the old work-life balance!) but I shall book onto the next one :)
    Thanks again, I'll keep you updated!
    Angie

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Best wishes.