1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - tricky interview question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2145, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I had my first interview a few weeks ago in which I was unsuccessful. I have another coming up and am trying to prepare for it. There was a question asked in my last one that I struggled to answer. I ended up waffling, came out with a load of rubbish to be frank, and I think it may have contributed to my not getting the job.
    The question was: what would you say are the main professional challenges faced by teachers these days? (or words to that effect).
    I have been trying to come up with a good answer for this and don't think I'm getting very far. In my interview I discussed Ofsted and the no-notice inspections coming into force. Would you say this was a good thing to say or not?
    I was also going to mention impending changes to the NC and the challenges of inclusion.
    Any other ideas?
    Thank you

2. Hi there
    I had my first interview a few weeks ago in which I was unsuccessful. I have another coming up and am trying to prepare for it. There was a question asked in my last one that I struggled to answer. I ended up waffling, came out with a load of rubbish to be frank, and I think it may have contributed to my not getting the job.
    The question was: what would you say are the main professional challenges faced by teachers these days? (or words to that effect).
    I have been trying to come up with a good answer for this and don't think I'm getting very far. In my interview I discussed Ofsted and the no-notice inspections coming into force. Would you say this was a good thing to say or not?
    I was also going to mention impending changes to the NC and the challenges of inclusion.
    Any other ideas?
    Thank you

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not Theo and feel I'm a 'bit out of the loop' but for what it's worth, my opinion.
    I would have said any of your suggestions would have been suitable for discussion. I would have thought the main point would be; that your had an opinion on them and could back up your answers.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that there are two points to make here.
    Firstly, it has to be what are the ones that YOU see, that YOU think face you in the classroom. What YOUR experience shows you - and then go on to say briefly how you deal with them. I don't think that they are necessarily looking for some big political thing, as your suggestions suggest. Oops - not v well worded there!
    So: what is it that prevents you achieving as fast or as completely as you would wish your goals re: learning and progress?
    And secondly, it's not a good idea for us (you, me or anyone else) to post on an open forum any answers to any interview questions, as they could so easily be taken up by other candidates. And that could make you look daft, saying the self-same thing as somebody else in an interview.
    Best wishes

5. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

Hi
    You'll probably find the questions vary massively! That's certainly been my experiences recently. One 'theme' question that came up alot was about work/life balance and prioritising an increasing workload - which would also possibly fit into your question. Keep at it! Sometimes it's just a case if your face fits, and also you don't know exactly what they're looking for - keep going though! The more experience you get the more confident you'll become. Also, for extra experience check with your LEA governor services, they might do training courses for governors on how to interview and they are always looking for 'candidates' to apply for 'jobs' and attend 'interviews' - all fake jobs of course, but fantastic interview experience. Good luck and keep going!