1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all...supply since graduated..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tweetypi88, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    Since getting my NQT almost 2 years ago I have been doing supply teaching. I wanted to do it for a year to gain experience and see what kind of schools I liked, preferred age group etc. However, now that I've been doing it for 2 years and haven't yet secured a permanent job is this going to put employers off? Who else is in this situation? Had anyone been doing supply for a long period of time before securing a job? Feeling a little down in the dumps!! Even though I haven't applied for THAT many jobs, I just have a feeling that any employer is going to wonder why I've not yet had a permanent job!!

2. Hi there,
    Since getting my NQT almost 2 years ago I have been doing supply teaching. I wanted to do it for a year to gain experience and see what kind of schools I liked, preferred age group etc. However, now that I've been doing it for 2 years and haven't yet secured a permanent job is this going to put employers off? Who else is in this situation? Had anyone been doing supply for a long period of time before securing a job? Feeling a little down in the dumps!! Even though I haven't applied for THAT many jobs, I just have a feeling that any employer is going to wonder why I've not yet had a permanent job!!

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Its like I could have written the above post word for word! Keen to know the answer on this one. I was given advice recently to put in letter/exec summary the benefits supply has taught you in terms of behaviour managment/seeing different ideas and that you did it to gain experience before induction. I also have started to put 'asked back frequently on supply' to big me up a bit. :)

4. you're not alone
    Since 2 years ago I have had 2 interviews, only just this year.
    I have found focussing on my strengths is better, and following all of theos advice like the exec summary. Furthermore I just started my own business doing private tuition as supply was scarce and irregular so I didn't want to be sat doing nothing.
    Start doing something else, another course, some voluntary work or work with children because supply is a bit irregular and doesn't look great for employers.
    When I asked at interview what got me shortlisted they said my business acumen and the tuition organisation, also because I am making my own schemes of work and resources for my business etc.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, this is the story for many teachers who are keen to get into a classroom and actually teach their own class.
    So frustrating for you all, I really feel for you.
    Some general advice on getting a job is in my long post in here:
    Am I doing enough?
    Don't forget to read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, and also read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Best wishes

6. I am in the same situation as you! I graduated in June 2011 and have not yet got my first teaching post. Ive applied to so many schools and have only had 2 interviews since September. I had another 2 rejections this week, and have cried so much since I received them. These 2 rejections are in a long line of rejection letters that I have received. As I'm claiming JSA, the Job Centre are telling me to apply to other jobs, such as hairdressing! HELLO! Hairdressing! Get a grip, Government. Ive applied to work in care and have even had rejections for those jobs too. I guess I'll be unemployed forever!
    Good luck anyway.
    xx