1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 2, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    Now make sure that you open the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Should you stay or should you go . . .
    1) How nervous will you be? Could you bear to be hanging around the staffroom with the other candidates waiting for the decision? Could you stand realising that when they say "Mr Griff - the panel would like you to come back and see them again", it means that they are offering the job to Mr Griff and not you?
    Or if they say to all 3 of you who have hung around - "I'm afraid that we aren't able to tell you the result yet". This will mean that they wish to give it to Mr Griff who waltzed off home, but in case he turns them down, they don't want to tell the rest of you yet that you haven't been appointed, as one of you is Plan B.
    2) How patient could you be? You may have to wait longer to hear the outcome if you go home. For a start, it will take you some time to actually get home.
    I doubt that this will be taken into consideration. They are not going to say: "Right, before we start discussing who we want, let's have a dekko to see who's still here"
    Normally they dump you in the staffroom, or worse in an empty office, with the other candidates and you sit twiddling your thumbs. Or doing crochet work.
    Decide by what you could find most bearable.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have almost identical wording: 'Once all candidates have been interviewed and observed, the panel will make their deliberations and should arrive at a decision by approximately 3 pm. Following this the candidates will be contacted by telephone'. So I feel free to go on home, as the wording seems to indicate they are <u>not</u> expecting candidates to hang around.
    In your case it's less clear 'are free to stay in school and wait for a decision' I think means just that and they won't think <u>any less or more </u>of you whatever you decide.
    As Theo has pointed out, waiting around is difficult, especially if they 'call' another candidate or stick you somewhere out of the way or worse still with the other candidates making 'small talk'.
    As they've indicated a decision by 1 pm, I'd be inclined to start making your way home leaving a mobile contact number, so they can contact you as soon as possible.
    Best of luck with your practice and 'actual' interview! [​IMG] Let's hope you can post that new thread Dear Theo I got the job! very soon.

3. In my interview the other day we were told that while we were waiting for them to decide who to take through to the afternoon interview we could wander around the school so that might be an option if you do decide to stay, although I guess it might mean they have to come looking for you to tell you their decision! Its a tricky one really, perhaps its best to see how you feel on the day and suss out what the other candidates are doing, if they are all going home do you want to stay on your own, or if they are all staying, do you want to be the only one going home!?

This probably isn't helpful at all but good luck- hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel for you!

4. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I agree with Theo - do what's most comfortable. My opinion - go! There's nothing worse than small talk with other candidates when you're all frantically hoping each other doesn't get the job! If they want you, they'll know before the afternoon when you're all hanging around. It won't be based on whether you're in the staffroom or not! I'd go, and then you can take the call in your own space - at least that way you can have your reaction privately; if you're successful (hopefully!) then you can "woop woop" to your heart's content and run round like a headless chicken (what I did when I got my job) or if it's not great news (hopefully not) then you can cry in private (what I did when unsuccessful at interviews!) and call the people all the rude names you want [​IMG]
    Best of luck with it! [​IMG]

5. Thank you everybody!
    I think that I am going to go with my initial feeling to this situation...run away, get a coffee and read/watch something to take my mind off it until the moment of truth!
    Nerves are definatley kicking in right now!! Eek!!
    LMP :)