1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all- Please don't think 'Oh no, not her again!', but I have some more questions!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Feb 16, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Sorry about the text, not sure why it went lie that! Anyway, I forgot another question.
    Q6. When it says looking for an outstanding teacher, shall I just not apply, because I am not outstanding?

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

We are not sick of you and I cannot remember anybody being banned for asking too many questions.
    Theo is (as always) best placed to answer these but until he comes along...
    Q1. Your references don't all need to be previous heads - just your current or most reacent. I used HoD and Uni tutor (from my current M.Ed course).
    Q2.Was your dissertation published or have you written for an magazine or professional journal?
    Have you been awarded with super duper teacher of the year or similar?
    Did you achieve a disctinction in your Uni course or other?
    Q3. Times your gross monthly salary by 12?
    Q4. Pass
    Q5. I would write on the posh paper and as another fellow leftie I can appreciate the pain of handwriting the application!
    Hope that helps x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 No, your current Head and then 2 others. Could be the KS co-ordinator where you are now, for example, as one of them. then someone good from the past - but not too distant, and pref not a secondary reference as you are applying for primary
    Q2 Did you win a prize? A scholarship? have you written a text book? 99% of people have nothing in here, so put N/A.
    Unless you have!
    Q3 Write Supply rate
    Q4 Try to make it look neater by being all the same. But don't kill yourself over this.
    I always (well, not now, I don't apply) use a different font from theirs, say theirs but in italic, so that my answers stand out from their questions.
    Q5 A4, not lined (NOT LINED!). Ordinary printer paper will do. On your computer print out thick bold lines, like lined paper but slightly wider spaces between then, that you can paperclip to your plain paper as a writing guide so you don't go downhill.
    We just count the smileys to see the stress level!
    Calm down Cariad!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Q6. They were hardly going to ask for a mediocre teacher or one that will do were they? Show them that you are outstanding!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q6 - popped up while I was answering the others. (I am popping in and out because this week I have loads of people booked in for 1-2-1 consultation sessions with me, and I like to prepare really well for them).
    Q6 - go for it anyway. This is just wishful thinking, there are not that many, thanks to the daft system of judging it.
    And I will also add that:
    1) you came to the seminar, got lots of good, tips.
    2) you then applied and got your current post, although temporary.
    3) they have not told you not to bother to come back tomorrow. Which you have been worried about.
    If you can get a job once, you can get one twice. If they see you, they realise how good you are, and want to keep you.
    So CHIN UP!
    (Or I might ban you from the forum for lacking in confidence DESPITE the great things you have achieved!)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com