1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: open evening at school whilst on supply

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by f.a.b, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    In an advert for a job it says that they would like applicants to come to the school's open evening. It just so happens that I am also doing supply that day.
    I was originally planning to go to the open evening anyway, however now that I will be there:
    a) I don't want to have to go home, and then come back again as I do not live in the same town or near
    b) I also don't want to hang about from 3.30 till 6pm when it all starts

So I am asking, would it be ok for me to just go to the subject department at the end of the school day and explain how I am on supply and also interested in the position, don't live nearby so cannot make quadruple trips?
    I'm just concerned that maybe the department will be busy getting ready?
    Also I am on general cover so don't know if I will be in my department during the day or not, otherwise I could also speak to staff then.
    Would really appreciate your advice. thanks.

2. Hi all,
    In an advert for a job it says that they would like applicants to come to the school's open evening. It just so happens that I am also doing supply that day.
    I was originally planning to go to the open evening anyway, however now that I will be there:
    a) I don't want to have to go home, and then come back again as I do not live in the same town or near
    b) I also don't want to hang about from 3.30 till 6pm when it all starts

So I am asking, would it be ok for me to just go to the subject department at the end of the school day and explain how I am on supply and also interested in the position, don't live nearby so cannot make quadruple trips?
    I'm just concerned that maybe the department will be busy getting ready?
    Also I am on general cover so don't know if I will be in my department during the day or not, otherwise I could also speak to staff then.
    Would really appreciate your advice. thanks.

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I would stay. I'd take my laptop and spend the time filling in some job applications, as well as finding somewhere nice for tea, maybe.

4. Thanks for your reply Sillow. Yes that does seem like the 'proper' thing to do but I feel like I'm wasting so much time, as I also have some important guests from abroad coming the previous day so as it is I will be at work, and then the whole day/evening as well, feel like I'm neglecting them.
    I always take my laptop with me anyway to do other work and yes I do have many job apps to complete, so will be taking that. The school is actually amazing in a new building with a large atrium so I could wait there for like 3-4 hours...just seems like such a long time...

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd stay too. School I last worked at was too far away to travel home, so I popped into town, brought myself something to eat and then took it back into school with a good book.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It sounds like an excellent opportunity, so I would stay. And they might even be curious about what you are doing on the lap-top - be good if you had some whizzy materials to pull up at the drop of a hat!
    Good luck

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I hope I didn't come across as condescending! Of course you'd have your laptop with you, I didn't think that one through!! *facepalm*
    Good luck with the job search!

8. Thanks for the advice, I'll be staying then.

Sillows, no of course not, not everyone takes a laptop. I only take one now due to job applications and to prepare work for tutees in the evening. I quite enjoy it though, I never get bored.