1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all members - should I mention my 3 boys

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Curae, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Hi,
    I have seen my dream job: a part time ( permanent contract) Maths posiiton in a Catholic boys school. I really do want a part time position because I have 3 very young children to look after: twin 3 year old toddlers and an 8 year old. I am also what you would describe as a practising Catholic and an active member of my Church.
    My question is : should I state that because I am a mother of 3 boys that a permanent part time posiiton is ideal as I it will allow me to to achieve a suitable work life balance in a Catholic environment or am I digging my grave.
    Common sense tells me to state this fact especially on the Executive summary. However I am new to this so need reassurance. I definitely don't want to risk anything at this stage .
    Please advise

2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Hi,
    I have seen my dream job: a part time ( permanent contract) Maths posiiton in a Catholic boys school. I really do want a part time position because I have 3 very young children to look after: twin 3 year old toddlers and an 8 year old. I am also what you would describe as a practising Catholic and an active member of my Church.
    My question is : should I state that because I am a mother of 3 boys that a permanent part time posiiton is ideal as I it will allow me to to achieve a suitable work life balance in a Catholic environment or am I digging my grave.
    Common sense tells me to state this fact especially on the Executive summary. However I am new to this so need reassurance. I definitely don't want to risk anything at this stage .
    Please advise

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, most certainly not.
    For three reasons:
    1) Because it is personal, not professional
    2) Because it is illegal for the school to bear in mind the family situation of an applicant
    3) Because this is something that is to your advantage; the school, frankly, is not looking to make an applicant happy. It is looking for the best candidate for their pupils, it is looking for their advantage, not yours.
    I cannot for the life of me imagine a person specification used for an executive summary where an appropriate way to evidence a criterion included the words " twin 3 year old toddlers and an 8 year old."
    So you really shouldn't be thinking of putting this information anywhere in any job application.
    And let me give you another warning: you should not mention it at interview either!
    Yes, because you would be showing very poor judgment by including this information.
    On the other hand, the bits about your commitment to your faith and your contribution to the parish are very good to include.
    Cristina, hija, I don't think you have really got to grips with the system and procedures for applying for a teaching post in the U.K. I suggest that you think very seriously about leaving your husband in charge of the three little ones next Saturday, and signing up now for the seminar.
    www.tesweekendworkshop100.eventbrite.co.uk
    I think that you will feel much more comfortable about the whole procedure once you have attended this.
    Best wishes

4. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Thanks Theo. Yes you are right it has been a learning curve but I am getting there.
    I do like to check my ideas and I am reflective and thanks to you and other forum members I am now clear on what an executive summary and personal statement should include.
    I will will bear in mind your comments and not mention my family. I stupidly thought that raising three boys in the Catholic faith might be of relevance to teaching in a Catholic all boys schools but as you say this sounds unprofessional so I will never mention it.
    I will also consider the seminar.
    Many thanks
    Cristina
    I

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

cristinaperez
    Definitely DON'T mention anything personal. Years ago I asked a colleague to look over an application and she said<u> never</u> to mention anything personal/anecdotal etc. as it then became easy to make a snap decision-staright into the bin!

6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Hi,
    I forgot to mention that in my Personal statement on the CES form I included this statement which I am now worried about ,should I remove it

"The
    -----------------------is Catholic school with a multiethnic representation and I am
    of European Spanish Catholic ancestry and my husband is of mixed European British
    Asian Catholic ancestry so working in such an environment is similar to my own
    household".
    I included this in my very first application and was shortlisted for interview. in the others I did not include it and was not shortlisted-

Many thanks

cristina

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nothing wrong with your statement re Catholic belief. That's not personal 'anecdotal' but personal factual, that they want to know, especially if it's a Faith school.

8. I am surprised by this. I have stated on my personal statement recently for a part time position (from a position of responsibility) that I was applying for part time because I wished to spend more time with my young family, and have been shortlisted.

9. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Yes this was originally my thinking and makes total sense to me too. A good friend of mine is an experienced and qualified HR manager and said that she would want to know why someone would consider a part time job as oppose to a full time post. Although she does not work in education she did tell me that it would surprise her if an NQT who wasn't a mother/parent/retiring would want a part time position in teaching and reason behind it would be helpful prior to shortlisting.
    However I don't want to risk anything at this stage and it has been quite a long and complicated learning curve not just for me but from scanning the forum many others too.
    Thank goodness for these forums.
    Cristina

10. If i read the part of your statement which you quote above, i would find it totally bizarre to be honest. How is that school like your household? Unless you are applying to a school of 3 students, it is going to be nothing like your household. Domestic arrangements are not relevant and bringing up children is not regarded as valid experience for getting a teaching job (hence the many single and childless teachers out there!).

11. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I am a practising Catholic. Many pupils attending Catholic schools are from ethnic households such as mine. As a mother of Catholic children I am actually raising my children in this faith -preparing my own children so it is actually very relevant but also very personal . However I have learnt that one should keep Executive summaries impersonal to get short listed and not mention my family situation anywhere which I will follow.
    Thank you for your comments.

12. Yes, i have also worked in catholic, ethnically diverse london schools. I would say the practising catholic bit is relevant, but having 3 children is not. The school are advertising for a teacher, not a mother. Only offering my advice; I hope you get employment soon.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No reason why you shouldn't be shortlisted.
    What I am saying is that it is actually illegal for the school to bear this in mind when shortlisting you. If you didn't get the job and then suspected that it was because they were concerned about you having family responsibilities, especially twins of a very young age, things could get tricky.
    So best not to mention your family, it is not part of your professional skill set.
    Best wishes