1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - just when you thought you had got rid of me,

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 I hate them too. There are some nice sort of pens with a fine tip, Rollerballs. Buy black.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentel-Superb-0-7mm-0-25mm-BKN77-/dp/B002782EQG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1328214179&sr=8-14
    Type out your letter first then copy it. Print out a guide sheet with lines and have it under your sheet for writing on. If you make a mistake, start the whole page over again.
    Q2 You need the current school - ask and see what they say.
    Q3 Need to tell asap out of courtesy. Expalin that you love her school, really appreciate working with such superb colleagues, but need perm post.
    Q4 Because you are now more relaxed and confident so have a better chance of actually getting this post now!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh,you'll need to write that when you're rested and calm. Nothing worse than getting 3/4 down the page and making a mistake so you have to start again. Like Rollerballs-can't tell the difference between them and a fountain pen usually.
    2 Yes, always use current employer for first reference. They will have had some feedback about you.
    3 Take Theo's advice about approaching them first.
    4 Isn't there a so-called 'law' for that one? (Something Irish beginning with M?) At least this one is for Sept when you expect to be available.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

*shudders*

I hate the thought of doing a hand written cover letter, I can do hand written and i prefer to do all assignment drafts by hand....but my hand writing is so variable!!!

Welshchoc, try and get one of the friction roller balls, that way if you mess up you'll be able to rub it out and not have to restart the entire thing.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Is what I always do & as mentioned by Lara do it when you're calm to try and avoid mistakes.

Pen wise I always use a fineliner. They tend to dry fast and I'm not a fan of 'scratchy' pens.
    http://www.staedtler.co.uk/triplus_fineliner_uk
    Available from most supermarkets, WHSmiths etc...

Good Luck! x

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Speaking as a fellow left-hander, I do sympathise and would add to those right-handers helpfully suggesting other pens that the problem with most pens for us is that we smear what we've already written as we move our hands across the page. It's not just fountain pens, but these are especially tricky as we can't move the nib properly.
    I was required to write by hand a two page document as part of my application for my first headship (I was allowed to type the rest) and found it an incredibly stressful process, not the least because I broke my arm quite badly as a teenager and as a result cannot 'hook' my hand around as most left-handers do to write. This has made my handwriting appalling.
    I typed my statement first on a word processor (it was 1996 - not many people had PCs then), so that I could work out easily what I wanted to say first. After that, I copied it out slowly, paragraph by paragraph, resting my hand for a while between each paragraph (for many left-handers, writing out by hand neatly makes our hand ache).
    It worked - I produced a neat and legible document. What's more, I got the job.

6. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Thank you everyone for your helpful posts [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    Oh Middlemarch, I know just how you feel! I also smudge/smear things[​IMG]! My handwriting is not the best at times.
    for many left-handers, writing out by hand neatly makes our hand ache). - Again I thought that was just me[​IMG]! What kind of pen do you use then?
    - Congratulations on getting your job Middlemarch [​IMG]!
    Thank you all so much for your advice[​IMG]!

7. welshchocoholic1

Oops 9 smileys! Sorry!!!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

But we know it's YOU with all those smileys in a post! [​IMG]

9. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG] Thank you! I usually use biro too. Have just bought a left handed pen today for the first time!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How does that work, then?
    Did you ever see the episode of QI when Stephen Fry got a load of left-handed implements out and dished them out to the right-handed panellists? They'd done a bit of humorous scoffing about left-handers moaning about it all, etc and then they tried to use the implements and couldn't, whereupon Stephen Fry said words to the effect of, 'There! That's what it's like for left-handers all the time!'

11. welshchocoholic1

How does that work, then?
    Not sure how it works - think it helps with the smearing, but as I don't hold my pen properly, don't think it will be any good for me!
    No, didn't see that, but would have been funny to watch[​IMG]!