1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all -Just had a Thought...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, May 30, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

The job advert for the Job that I am desperate for and mentioned in this post is out...

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/580133.aspx

Advert is open to experienced and NQTs (YAY) and I fit person spec (YAY)

Now on paper I fit the bill and I have found out I am supplying there tomorrow (I often do every 2 weeks or so)...

Is it worth popping in the heads office and the end of the day and bluntly asking if I would be considered? I love the school but I always worry Im not as outgoing as most of the staff. Part of me thinks I am a little dry..

What do you think?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, good news that the advert includes NQTs and that you fir the person spec. (though couldn't really see how you could not if it's for a class teacehr)!
    "Is it worth popping in the heads office and the end of the day and bluntly asking if I would be considered?" Depends! Would you be able to handle it<u> if </u>they said 'No'? Not that they're likely to be so blunt, so might they just say yes to keep you happy, in which case you might be better off not asking.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I wouldn't. Of course the head will encourage you to apply. Why wouldn't he? It's a level playing field. Do a great job on supply, keep your own counsel and bung in a wonderful application.

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I guess I could handle them saying no now, more than applying and not getting shortlisted.

I guess another worry is that the advert mentioned a more senior role for the right candidate which makes me
    think thats what they want anyway. The teacher that is leaving did a heck of a lot for the school and is a complete sweetheart (Big shoes to fill!).

I feel like if they rejected me twice I couldnt go there again, although the HT is my main reference...argh!

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ah, now you have given us more information! If they want to appoint someone to a more senior role, they might be looking for someone with experience. In that case, it might be worth putting out feelers before you apply.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I would not advise that.
    The Head cannot possibly tell you that you would not be considered, he will only encourage you to apply. Very unprofessional of him to do anything else.
    And it does say NQTs too.
    AND . . .the very BIG AND:
    They will not have any applications from teachers currently in work, so it is indeed an open field, since they cannot risk just saying that they want someone to take on a senior role, because they might not have anyone applying who could do that.
    So NQTs will indeed be considered. And especially one who fits the person spec and can do a perfect Executive summary to prove it!
    Best wishes

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I once emailed a head asking about a visit and if they were accepting applications from NQTs and she replied saying yes as long as they had y6 experience. Now I do but only 1 x 6 week placement so not much. I admitted this and asked if i bother should applying. She replied that realistically they would be wanting more experience than that but that she couldn't tell me not to apply as that was up to me. I was very grateful that she'd been honest as it saved me petrol money and time visiting and hours on an application I wouldn't be considered for. I'm not sure if she'd have been that honest face to face though?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But after May 31, they will be getting only candidates currently not in permanent posts, so that reduces the field for them. NQTs and Supply teachers may not have the recent type of experience that Velvet's school would like but knows that realistically they might well not get at this stage of the year.
    Best wishes

9. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

OMG! These days having the phrase' currently doing my PGCE' or 'NQT' has heads drooling more than Pavlov's dogs in this current beginning of the end of the world as we know it financial apocalypse! Anyone on an M greater than the three lane highway betwen London and Newcastle generally needs to pluck sapphires out of thin air to consider appointment. So.....APPLY APPLY APPLY!!!!!