1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: it *is* possible....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1717, Jun 21, 2012.

1. I rarely post, as I have spent the past year (after qualifying) working as a supply teacher and applying, applying, applying...
    After over 60 job applications and about 7 interviews (I'll be honest: I've lost count), I finally secured a position this evening (for a year at least). Hurrah!
    I just wanted to share what I feel I have learnt over this past year....
    The advice you can get here on this website is invaluable, but I also want to point out that it's *you* that gets the job, ultimately. While I have had excellent feedback, it has taken practice and confidence to finally get a job, because I was ready to stick my neck out and take a few risks (both with my demonstration lesson and in my interview). Ask for advice and help, but it is *you* who will get the job, not the TES forum.
    Connections do also help. While I have been asked to apply on several occasions (and frequently not made shortlisting....or not got the job) building a good reputation in your local area counts: I am 100% certain that the head of my future school has had a few conversations with other heads I have worked for. So if you are facing supply work this September, do not dispair! This could be a wonderful opportunity to get your name in all the right books and your face recognised for all the right reasons!
    Finally: please do not give up. To say that I was dispairing would be putting it mildly: one way or another I have *always* worked as a teacher and to find myself without regular employment after qualifying was soul destroying. But I knew that I had to keep on going. It's a desperate market out there right now and selling yourself is a tiring experience. But please, do not give up. Everyone has something special to give to others.

2. I rarely post, as I have spent the past year (after qualifying) working as a supply teacher and applying, applying, applying...
    After over 60 job applications and about 7 interviews (I'll be honest: I've lost count), I finally secured a position this evening (for a year at least). Hurrah!
    I just wanted to share what I feel I have learnt over this past year....
    The advice you can get here on this website is invaluable, but I also want to point out that it's *you* that gets the job, ultimately. While I have had excellent feedback, it has taken practice and confidence to finally get a job, because I was ready to stick my neck out and take a few risks (both with my demonstration lesson and in my interview). Ask for advice and help, but it is *you* who will get the job, not the TES forum.
    Connections do also help. While I have been asked to apply on several occasions (and frequently not made shortlisting....or not got the job) building a good reputation in your local area counts: I am 100% certain that the head of my future school has had a few conversations with other heads I have worked for. So if you are facing supply work this September, do not dispair! This could be a wonderful opportunity to get your name in all the right books and your face recognised for all the right reasons!
    Finally: please do not give up. To say that I was dispairing would be putting it mildly: one way or another I have *always* worked as a teacher and to find myself without regular employment after qualifying was soul destroying. But I knew that I had to keep on going. It's a desperate market out there right now and selling yourself is a tiring experience. But please, do not give up. Everyone has something special to give to others.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Euterpe!!!!!
    Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now go and read this thread (you've been just DYING for me to tell you that!) - bump it when you have read it.
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    And thank you for passing on tips for others.
    Best wishes

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Excellent news! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm so pleased for you!
    [​IMG]

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So right! So you deserve to go out and celebrate your
    [​IMG]

6. Hi Cas and thanks!
    As I am sure you realise from looking at the Supply forum, things can be rather hit and miss. However, both myself and everyone I know in my area has had plenty of work (Primary, South West England) and that's even more remarkable in my case because I do not drive and am very limited in where I can go. In fact, the same evening I was offered a job, I also got a message from my agency offering a long-term post from September.

As daunting as it may seem, supply has loads of advantages if you manage to get yourself with a decent agency and build up a good reputation: no planning (unless it's long term), flexibility and the chance to get around different schools and learn from them all. So keep at the job applications, but don't despair if you look like doing supply in September.