1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all, is there any point in applying for this job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lCatherinel, May 1, 2012.

1. Still on the job hunt even though I declared that I'd given up last week. This week though I'm casting my net further and applying for second in department jobs too. I've been looking at a few and wondered if:

1. I should bother applying if they state they "welcome applications from black ethnic minorities or those with disabilities, as these are under represented in the school" as I'm white British and have no disabilities?
    If yes:
    2. Does this mean that if it comes to a even playing ground with someone who ticks one of their boxes I will lose out?
    3. Or, if I'm slightly ahead I will lose out so they get to tick their box?
    4. Is that even legal?

2. Still on the job hunt even though I declared that I'd given up last week. This week though I'm casting my net further and applying for second in department jobs too. I've been looking at a few and wondered if:

1. I should bother applying if they state they "welcome applications from black ethnic minorities or those with disabilities, as these are under represented in the school" as I'm white British and have no disabilities?
    If yes:
    2. Does this mean that if it comes to a even playing ground with someone who ticks one of their boxes I will lose out?
    3. Or, if I'm slightly ahead I will lose out so they get to tick their box?
    4. Is that even legal?

3. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I cannot comment on the legality of the situation but as we say in these parts "nae cheek nae chance".
    What will be lost by applying? Do you want the job?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Of course you should still apply - what if no-one from a minority ethnic group/person with disability applies at all? The school is merely attempting to get more minority ethnic applicants.
    2. See my second sentence above - the minority ethnic applicant/person with disability still has to be the best - they'll only get it above you if the two of you are equal - but there might not even be one.
    3. Unlikely, but I can't rule it out. That still doesn't mean you shouldn't apply because there might not be a minority ethnic applicant/person with disability at all.
    4. Yes. They are encouraging minority ethnic/person with disability applicants to apply, they are not saying 'And the first one who does gets it'.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good to hear you've 'picked yourself up' after last week's disappointment and applying again.
    Of course you should apply. As Middlemarch says, they're <u>inviting</u> applications from 'black ethnic minorities or those with disabilities, as these are under represented in the school',but who knows how many of those there are and you'd kick yourself if you didn't apply.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

To give the same answer as MM but in a different way. . .

I started putting that in my job details at my school about 7 or 8 years ago.

And you would expect something done by me to be legal and fair, wouldn't you?

;-)

Posted from my Galaxy Tab