1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all :interview well botched

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by newgreenteacher, May 3, 2011.

1. hi
    I had an interview today for a teaching post I REALLY want in a lovely school I answered all the questions but thinking on it feel I really messed up with one question:
    'What do you bring to enhance our provision in school?' I froze and babbled on about experience of varios schools and that was it! No reference to my extensive SEN experience, experience leading training, safeguarding role! Ho hum
    Lesson learned I think! Take time to think before babbling!
    Thanks I feel better now
    Any tips welcome

2. hi
    I had an interview today for a teaching post I REALLY want in a lovely school I answered all the questions but thinking on it feel I really messed up with one question:
    'What do you bring to enhance our provision in school?' I froze and babbled on about experience of varios schools and that was it! No reference to my extensive SEN experience, experience leading training, safeguarding role! Ho hum
    Lesson learned I think! Take time to think before babbling!
    Thanks I feel better now
    Any tips welcome

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Messing up on one question is not the end of the world.

I had a recent interview and messed up the presentation (looked more stupid than the most unprepared year 4 for show and tell!), the group task (didn't even understand the task, so babbled on to the two nice TAs and ignored the children for 10 mins) and then messed up several interview questions! Worse still it is in the school I work in, so have to see the panel (with all my embarrassment) daily!

Wait until they tell you you were unsuccessful before you worry.

Tips? Yes stop and think is one, but on the day it is easy to forget. You really didn't do too badly if the rest was fine, don't beat yourself up.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good lesson for many of us.
    Someone here has previously reccommended taking a deep breath to collect one's thoughts & think of 3 points to make.
    Last year I had an interview & I'd finished after 10 mins -obviously had been too succinct as the other candiadtes had 30 mins and we all had the same questions!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It happens, it happens.
    Do read again the interview tips in the Welcome thread, now while it is still in your mind, and note down, WRITE DOWN the strategies in there that you could have used . . . the key points for example.
    That way you will have gained something from the disaster
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. I GOT THE JOB!!!
    I cannot believe it! I am so happy I coould POP
    The feedback was that I was an outstanding candidate, quietly confident and clear in my answers
    Roll on September
    Thanks for all the feedback and obviously lurking on here and picking up all the fab pointers worked

Thanks Theo and Thanks to all the kind people who responded with encouraging words xx

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

YEAYYY!!!!!!! Hate to say 'I told you so...' but ! (Actually that is a lie, I love saying 'I told you so'.)

But well done you! Fantastic news!

8. Well Done [​IMG]

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations! Especially after all that worry about babbling.
    Nut if yo want one of Theo's shiny new stars you have to start a new thread 'Dear Theo I GOT THE JOB !'

10. Will do I want a STAR xxx
    thanks all x

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 9 days to go, this is nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *

The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May BUT NOW SOLD OUT. EXTRA SESSION being considered for afternoon of Saturday 14th.
    Sorry
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!