1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - interview lesson only 25 minutes?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by manuscript2007, Mar 22, 2012.

1. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Hello
    I have an interview for a 2nd in department at an indy school and the lesson part is only 25 minutes. This is half their full lesson time of 50 minutes. Any ideas how I can make my 25 mintues really count? I'm going to try and still do a 3-part lesson with mini starter, content and plenary, but it doesn't give me enough time to do much AfL or mini-plenary within the practical part of the lesson.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. manuscript2007

Hello
    I have an interview for a 2nd in department at an indy school and the lesson part is only 25 minutes. This is half their full lesson time of 50 minutes. Any ideas how I can make my 25 mintues really count? I'm going to try and still do a 3-part lesson with mini starter, content and plenary, but it doesn't give me enough time to do much AfL or mini-plenary within the practical part of the lesson.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wouldn't bother too much about the starter/content/plenary format unless it really suits the content of the lesson - it's not the sort of thing that creates much of an impression in the indie sector. And jargon such as AfL probably won't impress much, either. See my comment to your similar post in the music forum.

4. manuscript2007

Thank you for replying on both.
    I'm just keen to impress and make my mark, not really with jargon for the sake of it, but with stuff that I think is actually a good feature of my lessons normally. I like stopping half way through and giving tips/feedback then letting them go off again.
    aaaargh! Very frustrating trying to decide what I should do!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I dunno.... A good lesson is a good lesson, state or independent, and - were it not for the time constraints - I'd definitely be making an effort with starter and plenary. And I know of a number of independent schools that are taking up aspects of AfL.

7. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Three part lesson, AfL... these things are good teaching, not jargon. If you can bring these ideas into your lesson, it will help the students to make progress - and that will impress the observers and students.

I read a good tip here once: get the the students to do the work as much as possible, then you can get round and chat with them, which will demonstrate good relationships with students.