1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all, interview in a girls' school- help please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nans, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for a HoD post in a girls' school . I have never even stepped into a single- sex school before and would really appreciate some advice on what to expect about behaviour, the right 'tone' to take and so on. In case it has any bearing, I am female!

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for a HoD post in a girls' school . I have never even stepped into a single- sex school before and would really appreciate some advice on what to expect about behaviour, the right 'tone' to take and so on. In case it has any bearing, I am female!

Thanks for any help you can give.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If it is an indy school, go to the Independent Forum and have a browse there. There is a recent thread about interview lessons - you need to be prepared for different standards.
    Tomorrow? And you´re only asking today! Hope you´ve read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread.
    Depends whether indy or state. Girls on their own will not be cowed by the presence of boys, nor showing off for them. Generally girls in indy schools like to please the teacher. There will therefore be a lot less time wasted, and you´ll get through a lot more material.
    Professional, just as in any classroom
    Yes, if you were a male I would be asking you about any particular strategies you would use to protect yourself in an environment where all the pupils are of the opposite gender. And no, this is not genderist, just sensible. I would ask a female applying to a boys´school. Teachers being unfairly accused is a fact of life, you need to protect yourself by an appropriate attitude, demeanour and actions.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks Theo, I have looked at the clickables and they are very helpful. I do feel that I know what to expect of every aspect except the fact that it's a girls' (state) school- am quite confident on HoD stuff etc, but just a bit concerned that a girls' school will have a totally different atmosphere from the schools I'm used to!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's point about having no boys to impress/distract them, as Theo mentioned is the main difference I can think of- albeit just from my own school experience at an all girls school.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It will most certainly smell different . . . . :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That too of course!