1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: i need your advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Oct 15, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1. You need a ref in English. The fact that you don't have one suggests the Big Reason behind your rejections: lack of current experience teaching Classics through English in a British Curriculum School.
    Q1. (bis) See above
    Q1. (ter) It's not so much the training (if it is in a system fairly similar), it's the lack of appropriate experience - of the British school system and examinations - that is your problem. I assume that in addition to the BA in Classics you do have recognised teacher training?
    And no school, no school, would consider someone whose only qualification is an A-level . . . you need teacher training qualifications. And familiarity with UK teaching.
    Being located abroad is another disadvantage, as you are required to attend an interview in person at short notice.
    At your expense.
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

2. Dear Theo,

Thank you very much! Your
    advice is always to the point.

So, I gather that even if I
    had two glowing references, even if I was in England no school (especially
    independent school) would risk employing me, because I can’t demonstrate UK
    teaching experience. Am I right?

So, how can I gain some UK
    teaching experience?

Yes, I have QTS.

Thanks in advance

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I haven't said that.
    What I said was based on your earlier post where you said that your employers did not speak English, which suggested that you do not have current experience in a British-curriculum school.
    If you were at present working at, I dunno, the British School of Athens, as a Classics teacher, your life would be a great deal easier.
    There are large numbers of unemployed teachers generally, and although not many are Classicists, there are not many Classics posts, so that balances out.
    When it comes to a choice, a school will clearly wish to employ someone who knows what they are doing! Subject knowledge, teacher training, and relevant experience. This means that you understand a bit about YELLIS data or FFT, know the subject specification for the exam board, can plan using AfLf, etc. Students get that on their PGCE couirse, so they have (limited) experience.
    Anyone who has been out of teaching for a while has the same problem - things change!
    It used to be possible to do a Return to Teaching course, but these have been stopped because there are too many potential returners, so no need to encourage them.
    It used to be possible to do supply work, but that has almost dried up, with the use of TAs. And anyway, Indy schools (the main employers of Classicists) tend not to make use of supply agencies, trying to cover internally or with retired teachers that they know.
    i honestly don't know. Almost impossible, I reckon. You could try coming back to UK (or approaching the English School of Athens!) and offering to work as a volunteer, organising a Classics club, or after-school Latin lessons, but it's a slim chance. Then if there were a need for a supply teacher, you'd be on the spot. Even slimmer . . .
    Sorry to be so negative, but that's how I see it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

4. Dear Theo,

If my employers wrote a
    reference in Greek and I translated it from Greek into English, do you think
    that it would make any difference considering my lack of UK teaching
    experience? Do you think that it would increase my chances to get a Classics
    post or it is actually a waste of time as I do not have current experience in
    a British-curriculum school? Does it worth a try?

I know it is very, very, very hard to find a Classics post. I can handle
    it. Anyway, if I was a school manager in an independent school, maybe I would
    do exact the same thing. I would employ someone who knows what they are doing.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not really, because (a) the current relevant experience is the main point here. And anyway, (b) they wouldn't get to see the reference until AFTER they had decided whether or not to shortlist you, when they write directly to your employer to request it.
    An unsolicited testimonial from your employer included in your application will be disregarded, following Government advice.
    Concerning my lack . . .
    Increase my chances of getting . . .
    Does it warrant a try? Or Is it worth a try?
    If I were
    Maybe I would do the exact same thing, or Maybe I would do exactly the same thing.
    Another possible problem now raises its head.
    Are you an educated native English speaker?
    A school will expect all communication with pupils, colleagues and parents to be of a high quality.
    Best wishes

6. Dear Theo,

No, I am not native speaker
    of English. I am Greek and Greek is my mother tongue.

Thank you very much for the
    time you dedicated to answer all my questions.