1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (and all) - I need advice...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by captain oats, Mar 2, 2012.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am having a bit of a personal dilemma and I am unsure what to do. Honest opinions welcome! (Apologies if this ends up being a long post!)

I am in my 5th year of teaching, 4th year at the same school teaching the same year group. I am planning on leaving this school at the end of this academic year (if I find another job!) as there is nowhere for me to go career wise, it's a shame because I am happy where I am but know this is for the best.

I have seen 2 jobs advertised at the same school for September, one for a class teacher and one for an Upper Key Stage 2 leader. After nearly 5 years of teaching I am looking for the next step in my career but I am not sure if I am ready to lead 2 year groups! It asks for at least 3 years experience and I have been teaching Year 5 for the last 4 years but the thought of this is quite scary!

I don't know whether to just apply for the class teacher job. It is a fairly new school and is still growing so there may be a chance to take up leadership somewhere along the line (this would be far more likely than at the school I currently am) The advert does say they welcome applications from NQTs and experienced teachers.
    The Upper Key Stage 2 leader would initially be for just 2 classes (1 year 5 and 1 year 6) but as the school is still developing this would increase over the next few years. Do I apply for the class teacher job only to be told that they went for an NQT or do I apply for the Upper Key Stage 2 teacher to be told they have gone for somebody with more experience? Help!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so difficult this situation.
    On the one hand, considering you're in your 5th year of teaching you'de be expecting to be looking at going for advancement, even if you're currently feeling you're 'not ready'. It might take a few applications and interview for you to acquire that 'readiness'.
    You definitely need more experience in other year groups and I would expect a prospective employer to want you to have experience in Year 5 & 6 if those are the years yoy'd be leading.
    On the other hand, now in your 5th year you're becoming 'expensive' as an ordinary class teacher and yes, I fear you're right in anticipating those type of posts will be going to NQTs or up to M3 people.
    My advice is to go for the KS leader post .I went for one in my 4th year of teaching, on the advice of my Head, that I ought to be starting looking at the next stage of my career and seeing at least how I could improve my chances for the future.
    My firts port of call would be to see my HoY/DH/Head, depending on who is most appropriate and telling them how you feel. Ask them for their advice (if nothing else they'll be flattered to be asked) as to how you can improve your opportunities to be ready for that next stage in your career. Even if you have no hope of getting the job, they'll probably advise to to try, as you'll learn a lot just through the experience of applying. Make it clear you are not unhappy at the school, you appreciate all the opportunities they've provided etc. etc but you know you want to start looking at the future.
    Then at the end of you application you could mention something along the lines of, should you not be considered for the leadership position that you might also like to be considered for the position of Class teacher advertised.
    Best of luck with it all.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are almost certainly qualified for the leadership post.
    Talk to your own KS co-ordinator/leader and see what it entails. Do a nice clear executive summary so that you (and they!) can see how you fit their requirements. Then evaluate it.
    My guess is that you are now ready for the next stage, just feeling a tad daunted.
    But measuring yourself up against their criteria by doing the executive summary will tell you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. captain oats

Thank you both for the replies, it has given me the kick in the backside that I needed! I'm going to talk to my own headteacher on Monday to ask her opinion (she already knows I'm thinking of leaving.)

Theo, the advert asks for a letter of application of no more than 3 sides of A4 in place of a supporting statement - should I still do the executive summary in the supporting statement section of the application form?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could, if there's enough space, or you could do a two-sies letter plus the executive summary as page 3.
    <h1> Good luck</h1>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.

6. captain oats

Ok, will see what room I've got when I start typing it out.

Thanks once again for the advice, I will of course let you know how I get on :)

7. Good luck!!!xxx

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rebecca, you should be fast asleep in bed at 00.14!
    Best wishes

9. captain oats

Theo, do you think it would be acceptable to say that if I'm not successful for the leadership post I would still like to be considered for a teaching job? If so, where should I put this?

10. No, I just put both job titles and reference numbers on the one application form :)